Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

upgrade electronics

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
EMIT REEB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 32' 1988 Carver aft cabin

upgrade electronics

Postby EMIT REEB » March 14th, 2017, 1:28 am

I just purchased 1988 32' Carver aft cabin and has all original electronics, screens do not have a display any mor on depth finder the navigation is all lat an long. any recommendations on navigation gps and depth finders? I know we can download a lot of charts on tablets now but any thoughts would help.?!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: upgrade electronics

Postby RGrew176 » March 14th, 2017, 4:19 am

I upgraded some of my electronics last year. The old GPS died and the VHF was not working so I replaced both of them.

I ended up with this GPS unit:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/529894

This was the old early 90's or late 80's GPS unit.

This is a pic of the new unit:

I ordered mine without the transducer. I wanted a dedicated GPS. The 9" screen is really nice and the detailing of the charts is very good IMO.

I also installed a new VHF with DSC. The DSC is a good safety feature. If you are in trouble you push the red button and it will transmit your location.

I would recommend both units as I am very happy with both of them. I also bought and installed a new VHF antenna. Prior to the new antenna I could pick up 3 of the 10 weather channels in my area. Now I get 7 of 10. Last season out on Lake Erie I was able to listen in to radio conversations 40 miles away quite clearly. Get a good VHF and get a good antenna so the radio can function at its best level.

I was contemplating replacing the depth sounder. The one that came with the boat is ancient tech but it still works. All I want out of a depth sounder is how much water is under the hull. So, as long as it keeps working I will continue to use it.

Here is a pic:

It has an in hull transducer and comparing readings to the chartplotter depth readings it is accurate.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » March 14th, 2017, 6:36 am

There is basically Raymarine and Garmin out there who offer pretty much the same thing and when one offers something more, the other follows suit shortly there after. You cannot go wrong with either however I dislike the fact that Garmin has proprietary maps whereas you have a choice with Raymarine. I went Raymarine but like I said, both are pretty much the same in terms of tech. The only thing to keep in mind is when you choose a brand, you are kind of stuck with them as they will not interface with each other.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 14th, 2017, 10:16 am

One problem with the older boats is a lack of space for an MFD (multi-function display) that is very big. You want something 7" or more, but it's hard to find a place to mount it. It seems like a 7" display works well - big enough to see, but not a mounting headache. :banghead: The Garmin 741xs is popular now - it's a nice unit and not overly-expensive. You can also update it with radar that is plug and play if you want. It has Wifi and network capabilities too. Worst Marine has it on sale now for under $900. You may be able to use the existing transducer for depth - it depends on what frequency the old one is. Or you can add a shoot-through transducer or cut a hole and use a through-hull transducer. Running the transducer cable from the bridge down to the hull can be a challenge...

There is a lot of good electronic stuff out there today - look carefully, get some advice, and you can find something that will suit you well. :down:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 14th, 2017, 11:49 am

I installed a Raymarine A97 last year and am happy with it. I do think the Garmin units are a bit easier to use out of the box. A bit more intuitive and less reading required.

Hunt_trex
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356 "Vader"

Postby Hunt_trex » March 14th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I use a IPAD with Navionics. The IPad is connected bluetooth to a Garmin GLO. Navionics uses the sonar chart data that all the fishermen use. They map the bottom when fishing then upload the data, so I know it is the latest data available for navigation. It's crowdsourcing charts. I also use my Iphone as a backup with the NAvionics app with the Government charts.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 14th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Here is a link to a post I just made on this:

http://www.carveryachtowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2187
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 18th, 2017, 11:31 am

RGrew176 wrote:I was contemplating replacing the depth sounder. The one that came with the boat is ancient tech but it still works. All I want out of a depth sounder is how much water is under the hull. So, as long as it keeps working I will continue to use it.

Here is a pic:

It has an in hull transducer and comparing readings to the chartplotter depth readings it is accurate.

Wow - a nixie bulb depth finder! Those nixie tube readouts were state-of-the-art in their time! The originals were in vacuum tubes back in the late 50s and early 60s - then they evolved to the version you have in the 1970s-1980s. They disappeared and were replaced by LEDs and LCDs in the 1980s, but were still used in Russian-made electronics into the 1990s. But it's still cool to see them! BTW- they work similar to a neon tube and have a long life - they can last 30-40 years under the right conditions!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”