Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

WiFi bridged extender

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: WiFi bridged extender

Postby Wayne162 » May 10th, 2017, 10:54 am

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks Hunt_Trex and Paul, I will follow-up with your provided links and let everyone know how I made out. :usa:

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » June 5th, 2017, 10:37 pm

I have installed the WirieAP+. Its a WiFi solution that uses a long range WiFi adapter, combined with a local access point ("Secure hotspot") built in to allow multiple devices quick and easy access to WiFi networks simultaneously, and wirelessly. It is upgradable and can accommodate a cellular card for connectivity when I am beyond wifi range if I choose too. I can see available signals at least 3 miles out while next to the city. Many to chose from, I chose a local restaurant near my dock and have 5 bars on the signal meter. Civilization is back aboard as I can work from the boat. Took me about 40 min to install and set up. Currently it is to starboard of my helm above the box attached to the rigging under the canvas as it was raining when I was looking to mount it. It may be moved later but great signal from its current location.
:usa:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » June 6th, 2017, 6:29 am

I have just started looking for a solution at home. The company I work for has Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse Networks) for their provider. Spectrum has WiFi hotspots all over that are free for their customers when they are on the move.

There happens to be one about 1/8th of a mile away but I can't pick it up from the house. It bounces in and out. This just might be the solution I was looking for!

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”