Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Navionics products for route planning

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Navionics products for route planning

Postby PJHoffnet » August 19th, 2017, 10:45 am

I have a Simrad NSS12 Chartplotter and own the Navionics Platinum Plus US Southeast and N Bahamas (906P+) chart pack. No issues with use on the boat and doing updates to the SD card using either the PC or phone/tablet.

I can make and save routes on the PC (Navionics’ site, Chart Viewer) and sync/view/edit them on the phone/tablet in the Navionics Boating HD app. I can edit the routes on the phone/tablet and it will sync to the PC.

I have the Boating HD app, but can’t load my Platinum Plus chart pack. The only charts available are the Government and Navionics 'basic' chart. Neither of which really have the fidelity to do route planning or even navigate safely (IMHO). From what I can tell, the only way you can load a Navionics' chart is to use the Navionics + app? My worry is that if I purchase the Navionics + app, I’d still have to ‘buy’ charts to use on the app. Am I correct? Or can I ‘load’ my Platinum Plus chart pack - I’m guessing not, since the charts I see listed in Navionics + don’t include the chart pack I own.

One last thing - how can I transfer the routes I make on the PC/phone/tablet to the chart SD card so I can use them on the boat’s chartplotter.

Thanks in advance.

United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Re: Navionics products for route planning

Postby dsolo » August 23rd, 2017, 7:21 am

Have you tried Navionics with your questions? Good luck.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 23rd, 2017, 8:24 am

An idea I wasn't quite ready to jump to - thought the community would have someone who already knew the ins and outs from a 'users' stand point vice the normal 'customer service' angle. I have had good luck with their customer service when I was first learning about chart updating, so perhaps I'll call back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 23rd, 2017, 10:20 am

Paul a question/opinion from you.....Is navionics the gold standard for marine charts and are there other chart people out there, lets say Garmin.....I guess I am not sure the origin of the charts in the first place.
I now have navionics in my raymarine c80 ( hate the plotter by the way) and previously had Garmin blue charts in a touch screen which I loved ( easy for old brain to use, intuitive)......I am curious to know if those different charts are derived from the same place.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 23rd, 2017, 6:53 pm

@bud37 - I really can't speak to others, since I've never used them. I've been away from boating long enough to have left during the paper chart era. In the Navy we were just starting to validate electronic charting during my last sea tour. I have used Garmin in the early days - but only for land navigation.

From what I've read the charts, in large part, are all coastal/open water charts are derived from NOAA https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/sta ... spubs.html and inland waters from the Army Corp of Engineers https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/usace.html . I can only guess that commercial providers of electronic charts take these data files and 'format' them for their own systems. I do like to down load the .pdf versions of the chart because I find that you can not read the notes, warnings, survey history, etc that is easy to do on paper charts because the electronic ones are stitched together and don't contain those items from the 'margins'.

Navionics, and perhaps others (again, I haven't used others) can 'accept' user data such as sonar logs and comments which you can download and 'overlay' over the government charts.

I understand there's no going back to paper for on the water piloting though I do like paper for route planning - at least until I find a good PC alternative. Doing it on a phone/tablet just won't cut it for me, and as you and others have mentioned, doing it on the chart plotter itself isn't ideal.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 24th, 2017, 2:15 pm

I would be VERY CAREFUL using the Navionics chart for automatic course plotting without looking at some good reliable charts (NOAA). Navionics looks great and gives some great detail, but have some pretty gross errors. Someone down in Bahamas used the route planning and ended up on a reef.

Around here there are a few areas where the Navionics charts were off by QUITE a bit. In one place, the channel was 25' feet deep and the navionics charts showed 2-3'. In another place, where the NOAA (and real) depth is 2-4', they had anywhere from 10-30'. I went round and round with Navionics a couple years ago to get these fixed and they barely made improvements to the one area.

PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 24th, 2017, 10:46 pm

@km1125, couldn't agree with you more ... for planning purposes the only way to go is paper which is why I d/l the pdf version from NOAA to check the things I see on the Plotter's e-charts.

While the data source is the same, I'm still not completely sold in how e-charts are stitched together and switch from small scale charts to large scale charts when you zoom into an area.

As with all things navigation related, the more reliable sources you use the safer you are. That being said, I wouldn't mind doing the initial 'rough out' on a PC and then 'check' on paper. Then go and ensure the courses and way points are correct.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”