Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help with boat internet

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Help with boat internet

Postby RussL » May 16th, 2022, 12:43 pm

I am really struggling with the quality of products and services, as well as information available about getting/improving internet on your boat. I know Satellite based systems are just stupid expensive and completely impractical for me, so I have eliminated that option. Starlink looks interesting, but they have no marine antenna yet, and it is waitlisted everywhere. That leaves me with cellular and WIFI extenders....

Lets start with WIFI. As I see it there are 2 categories of hardware available. the less expensive (sub $1000) options such as the ALFA Campro 2, the Vector, Rogue, etc. All with fairly short range extension around 400ft. Then you jump to the $2500+ options like Wave, Aigean Networks AN-7000, etc. Does anyone have experience with these systems? I don't mind paying more for hardware if it is better. I just want it to work.

Thanks,
Russ

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Help with boat internet

Postby Phrancus » May 16th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Don't know about your US situation but for the sake of it that it may sparkle ideas here's our solution:

first we used each device individually, some over cell-network and the rest over the (paid) WiFi at the marina. That was a hassle as only one device could be logged in and switching devices was useless.

So I got out an old laptop and installed an extra WiFi antenna over USB, and with software (Connectify.me) I could create my own WiFi cloud while the laptop would keep the WiFi link to the marina stable and connected. Worked like a charm. Nice addon is that you can filter out advertising data. Except I had to keep the laptop on all the time.

Next generation of the solution will be a router/modem that accepts a SIM card for the data to the internet and will create our own WiFi cloud for all devices to connect to. Give that network the same name and password as at home and no device will need configuration hassle.

If you can use your phone as an access point for other devices, than such a router may be a practical solution.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Postby RussL » May 16th, 2022, 6:32 pm

Thanks, I use my iPad in that way now for cellular coverage, but I am looking to work remotely from time to time, and I need a reliable connection. I have actually been considering the GlowMex, Wave, or Digital Yacht solution that combines WiFi boot and cellular. The thing is they are relatively expensive and there just isn’t a lot of good information out there. I don’t see many people reviewing or talking about how well they work.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » June 4th, 2022, 11:52 pm

Starlink has an RV solution out now. The satellite costs 599 and then 135 a month. Download speeds are around 200-250 mbs and upload around 30mbs. The motor is postulated to not be extremely robust, but the screen has receivers all along the curves, so movement is less than you might first think. Many, many boaters are moving to Starlink.

Here is a pretty robust discussion on it. The last few pages of the post discuss the RV solution.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/ ... 61866.html

Canada
dssking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396

Postby dssking » June 12th, 2022, 8:38 pm

I just installed Starlink RV on my 396 and it works flawlessly. Can stream all day long, surf, etc. No issues.

Pricey solution, but reliable and is what I needed to be the "Office on the lake:.

United States of America
JimN
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '89 Carver Santego 38

Postby JimN » April 27th, 2023, 11:29 am

RussL wrote:Source of the post I am really struggling with the quality of products and services, as well as information available about getting/improving internet on your boat. I know Satellite based systems are just stupid expensive and completely impractical for me, so I have eliminated that option. Starlink looks interesting, but they have no marine antenna yet, and it is waitlisted everywhere. That leaves me with cellular and WIFI extenders....

Lets start with WIFI. As I see it there are 2 categories of hardware available. the less expensive (sub $1000) options such as the ALFA Campro 2, the Vector, Rogue, etc. All with fairly short range extension around 400ft. Then you jump to the $2500+ options like Wave, Aigean Networks AN-7000, etc. Does anyone have experience with these systems? I don't mind paying more for hardware if it is better. I just want it to work.

Thanks,
Russ

What range from the land-based network do you need? If you're not going extremely far, maybe Cradlepoint would work. If you want a cellular booster, Wilson and Shakespeare have those.

United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby kgarguilo » April 27th, 2023, 1:58 pm

In the past I have used Cradlepoint first the MBR1200 then graduated to the AER1600 with two modems (Verizon) That only gave me 150gbits per month x 2. plus I have the cheap Marina internet for watching TV <20mbits unlimited. I sold that boat and have moved to the T-Mobile Home wireless internet for everything now. Getting 320meg downloads and 8- meg up. The wifi is adequate out of the box for a Carver 406. 3 TVs a PC and various other wifi connected appliances. Back to cradlepoint a solid product line and GREAT customer support. Yes you pay annually but, it was worth it
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

United States of America
JimN
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '89 Carver Santego 38

Postby JimN » April 28th, 2023, 9:05 am

kgarguilo wrote:Source of the post In the past I have used Cradlepoint first the MBR1200 then graduated to the AER1600 with two modems (Verizon) That only gave me 150gbits per month x 2. plus I have the cheap Marina internet for watching TV <20mbits unlimited. I sold that boat and have moved to the T-Mobile Home wireless internet for everything now. Getting 320meg downloads and 8- meg up. The wifi is adequate out of the box for a Carver 406. 3 TVs a PC and various other wifi connected appliances. Back to cradlepoint a solid product line and GREAT customer support. Yes you pay annually but, it was worth it

How far can you stray from the 'home' location for the T-Mobile device? I called them last week about using it at home and they told me I can't because the local cell doesn't have any open ports, but I didn't feel like spending more time on the phone, trying to get better answers. Their website indicated that I can't get it at my address, too.

United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby kgarguilo » April 28th, 2023, 9:39 am

Try using another address you have access to as many others have done. I just walked down the dock to the end, so through other boats and I got 200 ft before the signal went from green -60db to the yellow on a wifi analizer on my phone. Still had signal, but not ideal at 200'. Also, placement matters, if i was to place it on the cockpit, I could likely get further. Minein inthe salon inthe old tv on in the starboard wall unit. Hope this helps
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”