Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Nova Kool RFU8000

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: Nova Kool RFU8000

Postby feeez » December 5th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
feeez wrote:Source of the post I thought I would reopen this thread about my Novacool Fridge. I did confirm the Power supply was dead but it was running fine without it.

Cheers
Fraser

Fraser, did you figure out the cause?

The short answer is NO. Through my investigation I found that the fuse on the power supply had blown and replacing it got the fridge running off of 110 when available. This made no difference to the short cycling problem as all that the power supply is doing is supplying 12V to the fridge. I did notice that the problem was less prevalent at cooler ambient temperatures toward the end of the season. We just kind of struggled through the season with it as is. We would always empty it and shut it down when we were not at the boat. Next year I am considering removing the fridge and taking it to a local company to have it evaluated and may have it repaired if possible. I feel this would be a worthwhile exercise as the replacement from Nova Kool is going to be well over $2000 CDN.

Stay tuned.
Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 8th, 2017, 9:16 am

feeez wrote:Source of the post
Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
feeez wrote:Source of the post I thought I would reopen this thread about my Novacool Fridge. I did confirm the Power supply was dead but it was running fine without it.

Cheers
Fraser

Fraser, did you figure out the cause?

The short answer is NO. Through my investigation I found that the fuse on the power supply had blown and replacing it got the fridge running off of 110 when available. This made no difference to the short cycling problem as all that the power supply is doing is supplying 12V to the fridge. I did notice that the problem was less prevalent at cooler ambient temperatures toward the end of the season. We just kind of struggled through the season with it as is. We would always empty it and shut it down when we were not at the boat. Next year I am considering removing the fridge and taking it to a local company to have it evaluated and may have it repaired if possible. I feel this would be a worthwhile exercise as the replacement from Nova Kool is going to be well over $2000 CDN.

Stay tuned.
Cheers
Fraser

Where did you find that fuse located.?..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » December 9th, 2017, 12:36 am

The fuse was located right in the power supply. It is one of those glass type fuses in a spring loaded holder

cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
Michclay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 444 cockpit motor yacht

Postby Michclay » June 8th, 2021, 11:18 am

We are having the same problem with this refrigerator. Did you ever find a solution or did you just end up getting a new one?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 8th, 2021, 11:52 am

Michclay wrote:Source of the post We are having the same problem with this refrigerator. Did you ever find a solution or did you just end up getting a new one?

This thread is old and the poster has left boating....I believe he may have replaced the power supply with something similar but that is just my cloudy memory kicking in..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 8th, 2021, 8:08 pm

I think feeez had more than one problem going on, what are you experiencing with yours?

Return to “Electrical”