Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2000 carver 356 aft cabin batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

2000 carver 356 aft cabin batteries

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2016, 11:24 am

I have noticed that when we are out for about an hour the carbon monoxide alarms start going off. This only happens when we are at sea, with generator off, and all AC items were on. So this time when it went off we powered down everything in cabin, except refig and alarm was silenced for about 10-15 minutes. But than it started again. Very annoying beeping. Does not do it when we are on shore power. I have noticed it seems to relate to battery. I also read elsewhere week battery could be the culprit. Also would I need to replace all batteries, or is it one of the batteries, if so which? They all seems to be same batteries. Do not have their history, but this is the battery thats in there now;

NAPA
Battery BCI # BCI #27DCM
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F 650
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F 800
Battery Posts Type Top Post & Side
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes) 150
Battery Voltage 12 Volt
Battery Warranty in Months 30
Battery Weight 49 lbs
Contents (1) Battery
Height 9-3/8"
Length 12-1/2"
UNSPSC 25191806
Width 6-3/4"

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: 2000 carver 356 aft cabin batteries

Postby feeez » June 27th, 2016, 11:33 am

Those detectors will sound an alarm when the battery power is low although that does seem strange when you are underway as the engines would be charging the batteries. The first thing I would check would be the health of the batteries (all of them). Check the voltages at rest with no battery charger running. You should also have them load tested and have the specific gravity checked with a tester. If the batteries end up being healthy then it may be the detectors have gone past their life span.
If you end up replacing batteries you usually should replace all the batteries that are in the same bank together.

I have had my share of battery woes since we bought our Carver.... it ends up being a great learning experience.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 27th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Have you checked the electrolyte level in the batteries? Overcharging batteries can lead to gassing of the batteries, which will cause the alarm to sound.

Our 2807 had a charger issue, was gassing off the batteries, which made the aft cabin CO alarm sound.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thanks Fraser and waybomb. I will get them checked out before purchasing new ones. I am sure the detectors are very old and may have expired as many suggested.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 27th, 2016, 5:06 pm

C02 detectors are 12 volt and are suppose to be replaced every 5 year I do believe, however your issue is do to low voltage, 12 volt that is. The batteries should have a built date on them, usually a sticker with the month and year, if not they are coded.
My suggestion replace all 3 batteries. the 2 toward the aft are your engine and house batteries, the one closest to the genny is for the genny only. When your out to sea and are going to need 12 volt power I suggest flipping the battery switch to only one of the 2 batteries so you have a good one to start your engines and get you back. Or run your genny for 30 minutes and charge your batteries. If you do find a bad battery in the aft 2, do yourself a favor and change both aft batteries. I would never put a used battery against a new battery.-Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2016, 5:28 pm

thanks mjk. I will check the dates on batteries and if needs replacing , will replace all to save headache. CO2 detector I would like to replace also, not sure if its something I can do myself, or should I have it done by a mechanic?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2016, 6:31 pm

cpoint wrote:Source of the post thanks mjk. I will check the dates on batteries and if needs replacing , will replace all to save headache. CO2 detector I would like to replace also, not sure if its something I can do myself, or should I have it done by a mechanic?

Just maybe you have an actual carbon monoxide ( CO ) problem here, don't overlook that, can't tell from your post but seems you had the engines running, that would be a source.....not sure how AC could be on with no genny running......can I suggest go to a big box store and get a portable CO monitor so you can check this and keep everyone safe till a solution is found. It is true that off gassing batteries ( hydrogen) and some glass cleaners will set them off, but better safe than dead.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 27th, 2016, 8:28 pm

your aft cabin as well as mine has a rear sliding window. while running this window can allow exhaust gases back into the aft cabin "station wagon effect" i dont know if you are running with this window open or if the window being closed is still allowing fumes into the aft cabin due to bad sealing of the slider etc. could be something to consider
also as others have said you might have a battery problem and you should also check the co monitor date they have a finite lifespan and do have to be replaced.
the only way to properly check your engine batteries is with a load tester either you or at a auto parts place. not just measuring the voltage. i suggest you consider buying one it will become a very handy item to have. theres no reason to just replace all the batteries on a whim. take readings and replace what is needed unless you just have money to burn. i am on my 8th year on my trojan house bank batteries. if you take care of what you have batteries can last
something like this see link
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-10 ... oad+tester
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 27th, 2016, 10:11 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
cpoint wrote:Source of the post thanks mjk. I will check the dates on batteries and if needs replacing , will replace all to save headache. CO2 detector I would like to replace also, not sure if its something I can do myself, or should I have it done by a mechanic?

Just maybe you have an actual carbon monoxide ( CO ) problem here, don't overlook that, can't tell from your post but seems you had the engines running, that would be a source.....not sure how AC could be on with no genny running......can I suggest go to a big box store and get a portable CO monitor so you can check this and keep everyone safe till a solution is found. It is true that off gassing batteries ( hydrogen) and some glass cleaners will set them off, but better safe than dead.

That is possible, bu when i powered down all but refig the load went off from batteries and alarm silenced, about 15 minutes later started again because maybe batteries were not being charged enough with engines running? and sorry by AC I did not mean air conditioning, I meant as in battery power without generator (DC). Also I did buy a better co monitor and that shows no problems. so i am sure its batteries and/or detector.
Last edited by cpoint on June 28th, 2016, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2016, 10:48 pm

I agree with all the above. While you're at it, check the output on your alternators while the engines are running, and the output on each leg of the charger to ensure your batteries are being charged properly to begin with.

Return to “Electrical”