Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery testing with new load test meter.

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Battery testing with new load test meter.

Postby Viper » April 24th, 2017, 8:49 pm

dsolo wrote:Source of the post... Their recommendation was to change out the 8 ga conductor to 6 ga if I install the 1240....

Do you mean the 1250? The 1240 is okay with 8ga according to their specs.

So I'll throw something else out at you, and again, this basically boils down to the type of boating you do: based on my experience that takes boaters' feedback into consideration, I don't go with anything less than a 40A charger anymore for cruiser type boats spending any amount of time on the water. If you spend all you're time at the dock, that's different, a smaller charger will do then. Those that do spend time on the water always express their regret of not having gone with a higher output unit. Work/time and money are deciding factors though so I get it if you stick with what you have.

Let us know when you're ready to install, we can help. Aside from charge wire size and the AC breaker size based on the unit you go with, I guess the biggest thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to install a chassis ground that you likely don't have in the current installation. Do not skip this step. If you don't already have charge circuit protection on each leg, you'll need to add it. Once installed, make sure you set it to the correct battery type; flooded, AGM, etc. Put the temp probe on the deep cycle bank as it will see the most action and get the heaviest charge. Read the installation instructions carefully and you should be okay. Oh, turn off the AC power to that circuit before you do anything!

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » April 26th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Viper, the factory tech support recommended switching to 6ga with the 1240? That is contary to the manual guidelines?
I made the decision to install the 1230 after talking with him. Yes, I installed the ground lead from the bonding chassis ground.
Everything went well. Charger had batteries to maintenance mode in less than 30 minutes. I currently have all three DC outputs to the house, starter, and gen Battery. Plan on installing a switch for the option to take the starter and gen out of the charger circuit. Will work on that project later.

Will be installing the Vitron meter also.

My boat was at the heated storage exit door and was launched today. In the water. Will open new postings to cover issues and opportunities.
Thanks everyone.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 27th, 2017, 10:22 am

dsolo wrote:Source of the post
Plan on installing a switch for the option to take the starter and gen out of the charger circuit.

Pls elaborate on that part!

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » April 27th, 2017, 12:14 pm

km1125, I miss spoke on the isolation, I should have stated having the batteries in parallel when needed to use as starting batteries. I understand the batteries will be charged by the 50 amp alternator when running. I also know the 1230 has intelligence to apply charge where needed. I believe the house bank will get most of the charge when depleted.

Here is input from you on a method I plan on implementing. The two group 31 batteries are next to each other. The current on/off switch is right there.

km1125 wrote:

If you have room and all the wiring is close enough, then you could replace the genset on/off battery switch with something like the Blue Seas Systems Dual Circuit Plus™ Battery Switch and then connect to the engine start battery and engine.

When "on", it would have each start battery dedicated to loads...one to engine the other to genset, but then you can combine both to overcome a starting problem on either side. Switched to 'off' (which you really shouldn't need except for off-season or maintenance) would disco both loads from both batteries.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 28th, 2017, 6:47 am

i spend quite abit of time on the hook. i added a seperate charger for the house bank and use it while anchored. dont need to really charge the starting battery while out. i mounted this out side the engine compartment. http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls75.htm and the smart charge controller http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm. used it for 6yrs now and it works well. this will cut down on genset running just to charge batteries when at the dock i switch back to the multi bank 40 amp charger
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 28th, 2017, 8:27 am

I hope to not take this off track, but I have a question for G36, why did you choose the iota system over others?

Dsolo, not sure but on your 12v panel you should be able to control the distribution of power from the battery charger with the breakers for one ,generator ,two.....I know it is manual but never the less controllable I think.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 28th, 2017, 3:13 pm

I use it to charge my house bank of golf car batteries the reason i chose the iota 75 because it is a high amp charger to make the most of charging while at anchor. I didnt want to have a combo inverter and charger in one package. The unit is a 4 stage charger with the module and the price was good compared chargers that put out similar amps
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Electrical”