Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1985 3607 Aft electrical problems

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
rvance
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3607 Aft Cabin

1985 3607 Aft electrical problems

Postby rvance » July 19th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hey, This is my first time on this forum and I have some issues with my Power. Here is my breaker panels setup....
I have 12v breakers on top then 120 that runs my outlets, water heater, stove and they work fine.
I had to bottom panel meter showing no power but when I test it is does have power. My air (aft and Solon, and water pump) does not work but my front ac is working but no water. When i turn it on my top meter jumps. Everything worked correctly when the generator is on but now my gen wont stay running unless I hold the start on. It is no longer putting ele out. I did accidentally hit one of the power and ground wires together and don't know if that did something to my generator. Any ideas what my problem is?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1985 3607 Aft electrical problems

Postby km1125 » July 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

When you say top and bottom meters.. you're referring to the Voltage and Amperage meters, right? The bottom one tells if you're DRAWING current, the top one tells you if VOLTAGE is available.

I have the same boat, but no generator, so I'm not sure how your switching for generator vs shore power is setup. A picture or two would help.

If you have A/C, then you have two shore power inputs, correct? Do they have a separate set of meters for the second shore power input?

Do you have one water pump for all your A/C units or is there a dedicated one for the v-berth unit?

You may have tripped your main breaker out of the generator. That should not have prevented you from using shore power for everything though. I would think the generator would still run but just not deliver power.

rvance
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rvance » July 19th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Yes I have 2 main panels for the electricity. The bottom one is for the 3 air units and water pump. There is only one pump for all 3 units. I don't understand why the last breaker(front air) works but nothing else in that panel. I did test it and I have power in and our of the main but the meter shows nothing. The panel automatically switches to ger when I start it. It was working but now won't stay running. I did test the individual breakers and have power to them also. What doesn't make sense is the last breaker (front air) has a ground in and hot out.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 19th, 2017, 6:05 pm

" What doesn't make sense is the last breaker (front air) has a ground in and hot out."

Ahhh.. that might be a clue. Are you saying the last breaker is a two-pole breaker?

Your mains should be two-pole breakers, switching both the neutral and hot. Ground should never be switched. The neutrals should not be connected between your two shore power inputs, but when they are both connected to the generator, then they can be. The gen/shore switch should take care of that. Sounds like you might have relays on the genset that takes care of the switchover.

Sounds like you have a problem with the neutral conductor somewhere... either one of the breakers isn't passing it or there is a bad connection... which could be in the relays too.

rvance
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rvance » July 20th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I agree it is a ground issue. Do you know of any other fuses or somewhere?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 20th, 2017, 4:56 pm

I don't think there are any fuses anywhere. Might be another breaker on the genset though.

And I said a NEUTRAL issue, not a ground issue. While sometimes similar or at the same potential, they are NOT the same thing. Very serious safety issues arise when those two get confused or miswired.

rvance
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rvance » July 21st, 2017, 11:10 am

Thank you

rvance
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rvance » July 26th, 2017, 3:00 pm

OK I have the breaker panel fixed and power to everything. While I was working on it i did cross a hot and ground and it sparked a bit. But when I was done, My generator wont stay running only if i keep it on start. It is not putting power out. Any ideas?

Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby Agriman » July 26th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Re A/C unit, If it starts and then quits its likely the unit is not getting water. The A/C units usually have an automatic shut down if the water pump quits to protect itself. It might be a power issue or water pump impeller.
Hope this helps.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 26th, 2017, 3:57 pm

rvance wrote:Source of the post OK I have the breaker panel fixed and power to everything. While I was working on it i did cross a hot and ground and it sparked a bit. But when I was done, My generator wont stay running only if i keep it on start. It is not putting power out. Any ideas?

Could be a few things perhaps related to your quick short...I know this is an older model but hopefully it will be this way.....but anyway, try this.....on your gen itself may be a breaker ,if there is, open the breaker and try to start that way, with the breaker open only the gen engine should run , it will not make any electrical power.Before you do that though have a look on that panel on your gen and see if there are some fuses there ( check them if there are ).Good luck....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”