Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Adding Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Adding Batteries

Postby Viper » November 16th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I'd have to check in case standards have changed recently but it was a max of 7" from the source. It might be easier to install the fuse where it's convenient but the idea is to protect the circuit by placing the protection device as close to the source as possible.

We should keep in mind that there is a lot of current involved when we're talking about inverters. Should something go wrong, it will have catastrophic consequences even with the smallest oversight, cheaping out using low quality hardware, or improper installation practices. I've seen the results of some failures due to these, it's not pretty. And some installs were done by so called inverter installers/system design engineers. The problem is that they're typically versed in residential installations, and are unfamiliar with marine practices so they use non marine hardware and installation techniques. The install might look good to the average person but a good surveyor will quickly tear it to shreds and condemn its use. A failure in a poorly installed system with improper hardware may not be covered by the insurer if it's discovered proper installation practices weren't adhered to, it's their way out of honoring a claim.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I'm just wondering out loud,if a way to appease both issues here would be to put the slow blow ignition protected fuse right where it should be at the batteries and then put the quick blow fuse nearer the inverter in a spot where the ignition protection is not required.....maybe that would keep both sides happy, although it would be a few more dollars.Really not sure if this would work electrically ok ....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 17th, 2017, 7:10 am

Won't pose a problem electrically as long as all connections remain tight and free of corrosion. The more items you add into the circuit though, the more connection points you introduce. The connection points are typically the most common cause of failure due to improper installation, their condition over time, and the lack of periodic inspection. Properly sized and installed marine cable is seldom the cause of a failure. Adding another fuse block introduces more potential failure points. A typical high amperage fuse block adds 4 more connections; 2 for the fuse and 2 for the cables. Add the required connections at the battery, the ones at the inverter, the optional shunt, and the ones at the switch and you can see how quickly the number of failure points add up.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » November 17th, 2017, 7:56 am

Installing a anl fuse is not a problem I just want to make sure it’s the proper way to go since Xantrex wants a class t. I think making some type of cover for the current class t fuse I have would ultimately be the way to go, since Xantrex says no to anl fuses. Or waiting until spring hoping somebody comes out with a ignition protected class t. Where my fuse is mounted there would be enough room to make a cover something small of course.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 20th, 2017, 4:48 pm

A very important detail that warrants mention for safety reasons; if an inverter didn't come with a "Caution" label to be placed at the ship's electrical panel, you should make one up and post it in clear site so that anyone working on AC systems and behind the breaker panel are put on notice that an inverter is installed in the vessel. This is a reminder that simply unplugging shore power does not ensure the power is off. This is especially important with an automatic transfer unit.

I usually make up a label relative to the installation such as:

CAUTION - POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL SAFETY HAZARD
This vessel is equipped with an automatic switching inverter. It will supply AC when shore power or the generator is off.
Disconnect AC shore power AND turn off DC power to Inverter before servicing electrical panel.
The inverter’s DC battery shut off switch is located in the aft cabin, starboard side lower cupboard, beside the stairs.
ALWAYS test and ensure no power is present before working on the electrical system

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 20th, 2017, 4:57 pm

++++++++1....

good stuff. :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

Postby ataylor233 » November 25th, 2017, 12:07 pm

how much ventilation should the inverter have? i would love to mount it in the aft cabin, in the closet along the engine room wall. It's right under the salon stairs maybe a small computer fan to vent the closet.This will allow me to run the wires through the back wall.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 25th, 2017, 4:31 pm

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post how much ventilation should the inverter have? i would love to mount it in the aft cabin, in the closet along the engine room wall. It's right under the salon stairs maybe a small computer fan to vent the closet.This will allow me to run the wires through the back wall.

Where are you thinking to run the vent to, sounds like a good idea regardless, maybe with a switch that would turn the fan on when a certain temp is reached........could you possibly vent it out the side of the hull from that spot if that would be needed ??...... :beergood:

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

Postby ataylor233 » November 25th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Where are you thinking to run the vent to, sounds like a good idea regardless, maybe with a switch that would turn the fan on when a certain temp is reached........could you possibly vent it out the side of the hull from that spot if that would be needed ??...... :beergood:[/quote]
im thinking on both sides of the stairs and one at the bottom of the door for that closet as a intake . wired to a temp switch should be easy.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 25th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Look at the inverter you are considering. Some include a fan, so you could just duct the output of that fan out of the closet somewhere.

Return to “Electrical”