Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No 110 power to aft deck outlet

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
WhiskeyRiver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Aft Cabin

No 110 power to aft deck outlet

Postby WhiskeyRiver » August 26th, 2014, 10:09 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum. We just purchased our 355 aft cabin last August. Last year the outlet and ice maker on our aft deck worked fine. This spring we discovered that the outlets (one for the ice maker and one outlet) are not working. Have replaced the GFI outlets in the salon and forward head as well as the outlet on the aft deck hoping that was the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a switch that I have forgotten about? This is really baffling me and my more experienced dock buddies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: No 110 power to aft deck outlet

Postby AaHubb » August 26th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Have you pulled the outlet yet. As I found out that's a prime location for corrosion.
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author
WhiskeyRiver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Aft Cabin

Postby WhiskeyRiver » August 27th, 2014, 9:34 am

Yes, I have replaced that outlet also. Not getting any juice to those outlets on the aft deck.

United States of America
Tommyfmu
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 325 Aft Cabin Motoryacht

Postby Tommyfmu » August 27th, 2014, 11:37 am

Although we have a different model, we too found a dead outlet on our back deck last year. After changing the outlet, then box we ended up running new leads to/from the main panel to just 'start over,' and haven't had problems since, nor with any of the salon outlets that were feeding from the back outlet. Due to code we used shrink wrapped crimped terminals.

shippytime
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355

Postby shippytime » February 6th, 2015, 7:25 pm

WhiskeyRiver: I have the same issue - power suddenly quite while doing my fall clean up, didn't have a change to pull the outlet - preparing for the spring "todo" list and this is on it - aside from swapping the outlet to a new GFI did you find a solution?

I'd rather not have to replace all the wiring going back to panel unless I have too…

Steamboat Willie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Postby Steamboat Willie » May 13th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I know this post is a few months old, but I had the same problem on my 1997 325 aft cabin and found that the ground fault receptacle on the starboard side of the boat provided ground fault protection for all of the outlets on that side of the boat. Replaced that inside ground fault outlet and all works fine. I have heard of some Carvers that had that GFI receptacle mounted inside the cabinet for the microwave or the fridge. So, you might have to look for it.
David & Mary
1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin
Nightmare

United States of America
cjm163
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 Aft Cabin MY

Postby cjm163 » August 24th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Hi, I own a 1998 355 Aft Cabin and discovered the same.... no power to the aft deck and ice maker outlets. We woke up the morning after a thunderstorm and the ice maker and aft outlets were out. The line leading to those outlets are no longer hot. Common sense tells me a tripped GFI or Breaker but I cannot find a source.

I know it's been a while since your post but did you find the root of your power failure. I tested all 3 GFI outlets that I know about (one port salon, one stbd head and one stbd salon) and all work fine. Any chance you found a hidden GFI or breaker switch powering the aft deck outlets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » August 25th, 2017, 3:59 pm

I'm wondering if the OP found his problem too. I have a 1998 355 and I was removing the aft original equipment TV unit. I found a GFI outlet in the lower cabinet where the TV plugs into on mine. I'll assume that it's standard from CARVER. It'll be to the right side of the cabinet when you look in. It controls the outlet on the aft deck also. HTH

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 27th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Since there are only 2 receptacle breakers on the AC panel. The boat is divided port and starboard. I would trace the wiring from the aft deck outlets. My guess would be a junction box somewhere.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 28th, 2017, 10:54 am

Most likely the gfi in the aft cabin behind the tv. If this tripped you are getting water into that receptacle and most likely into the closet below it. get a new weather proof cover and caulk to solve the problem.

Return to “Electrical”