Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Postby cpoint » February 21st, 2017, 10:47 am

Bryon857, you beat me to it :approve:
I am in same process, laying down vinyl planks. Hard part is done on my end of removing old carpeting, and fixing the large gaps left by carpet removal between hatch covers. Now cleanup and place the planks down. What are you doing with existing glue from old carpet? scrape? sand? leave it alone? Also does anyone recommend reasonably price sound covering under hatches? I am thinking there is something better out there now than 2000, that can cut sound from engines better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 carver 350 mariner

Postby Bryon857 » February 24th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Have not start install yet, I bought Brazilian cherry engineered wood 1/2 inch. I am thinking about using Roberts 4 in 1 adhesive or Bostik UltraGrip adhesive. Bostik is very expensive. Anyone else got ideas on adhesive? I was planning on just glueing over old glue.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 25th, 2017, 12:36 am

Byron, many adhesives will not bond to existing adhesives, especially older ones. I am not an adhesive expert by any stretch, but if I were you I would research this a bit. If you spend the time and money to install the new floor and your new adhesive does not "reactivate" your old adhesive, you are theoretically attaching to the old adhesive not the wood base. I would think this would have a very limited life and become very frustrating for you.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 25th, 2017, 10:22 am

Agreed

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 carver 350 mariner

Postby Bryon857 » February 27th, 2017, 8:00 am

Thanks for the advice, will do more research on the glue I use. May have to scape more glue, ugh. :pirate:

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » February 27th, 2017, 10:24 am

Hard to scrape off the old glue from plywood. Sanding did not work too well as the old glue is still not totally dry. Old glue over fiberglass seems to come off somewhat easy in my case using scraper (manual or powered). Using powered scraper damages plywood, so could not use it on there. I am trying to get 80%-90% clearing, as its going to be too much to get 100% clearing from old adhesive. I think if there is enough for the adhesive to grip it should be fine. Still have not gotten the adhesive yet, but started cutting the planks to size, looks good so far, next step adhesive. will let you know what I use and how it goes.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 27th, 2017, 10:45 am

Guys I don't have much experience with boat floors, except last boat had some type of sticky backed plank type flooring which stuck ok everywhere except one hatch cover.....wouldnt use that....so could you put down that very thin luan overlay( staple it) , then you would have a clean slate do do what you want.......another idea might be pl premium type construction adhesive, that stuff seams to stick to anything , now that I have used, generally the wood comes apart if you try to take anything apart.......just throwing it out there.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 27th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Hey, I almost forgot, don't use any chemical adhesive removers!!!! They will stay in the wood and break down any new adhesive you may apply.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » February 27th, 2017, 3:49 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Guys I don't have much experience with boat floors, except last boat had some type of sticky backed plank type flooring which stuck ok everywhere except one hatch cover.....wouldnt use that....so could you put down that very thin luan overlay( staple it) , then you would have a clean slate do do what you want.......another idea might be pl premium type construction adhesive, that stuff seams to stick to anything , now that I have used, generally the wood comes apart if you try to take anything apart.......just throwing it out there.... :beergood:

I was thinking along the same lines as this. I have not done this either, but what would be the downsides to mechanically attaching some kind of thin overlay over the old adhesive layer.

Fraser.... I'll join you in that :beergood:
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » February 28th, 2017, 9:19 am

I did not do too much research but after reading above, I was reading about luan overlay, possibly it may bubble, etc with moisture, being thing. Again I don't know much about it. I think best is to somehow remove the old gunk. I will try couple ways this weekend and let you know which works best, but no doubt its going to be pain in the rear any way I choose :)

Return to “The Project Center”