Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bringing my Carver Santacruz back from the dead!!!

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver santa Cruz 25 or 26 ft...someone tell me
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Re: Bringing my Carver Santacruz back from the dead!!!

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » December 15th, 2017, 9:21 am

Thats anti shudder valve. I don't know if it's used in new marine engines or not but it is in the vw tdi motors.

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » December 17th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Brought home the passat. Runs great but has an oil leak. The sellers said their mechanic thought it was the turbo but after a good cleaning i found a bad leak at the tandem pump. Its leaking where it sandwiches together in the middle. Supposedly it's not a serviceable part but it looks like gaskets and an o ring to me. I'll yank it apart at the shop and reseal it then re install tomorrow.

This motor has 215k on it, i keep thinking its too high miles for my build. The car is in beautiful shape. I may just do a service on it, give it a good wash and sell it after Christmas and make some money off of it. I pretty much stole it for what i paid for it and i can easily double my investment.

I have a second passat im purchasing next weekend. It has 16x,xxx miles and a bad transmission. No oil leaks and since it came from a vw nut, has a better service history.

The idea behind 2 passats is in case i didn't have enough power from one motor change it to a twin outdrive. I have seen one youtube video of a twin volvo diesel carver santacruz 26 and it was amazing. Was not in running condition and they still wanted 18k for her.

Well, being that i only need about 140hp to be on plane at @3200rpms @22mph i will have at least 30hp to spare.

So i guess the 1st passat can find a new home. I'll need some more spending cash for this conversion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dohcdelsol93 on December 17th, 2017, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » December 17th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Turbo and engine pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » December 21st, 2017, 2:51 pm

Quick question for you guys who own, have owned or operated the santacruz 26.

At 20 mph (or 22) which ever is the most comfortable cruising in plane speed what is your rpms?

Im currently researching how many blade/pitch of prop i want to try. Being that i push 300 plus ft lbs of torque from 1800 to to 2400 rpms i dont mind losing some top end speed in order to plane quicker at a lower rpm.

At least i think that is how it works.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 21st, 2017, 10:51 pm

The original gm 350 was most likely 260hp and 280 ft lbs of torque. I didn't look up the specs but I would assume the rpms were near the top of the range at about 4000. If the vdub diesel is 300lbs at 2400 I believe you will need to significantly in crease your pitch or you will scream that little motor into self destruction. I don't know the calcs, maybe consult a prop shop?

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » December 25th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I've emailed a few prop shops with no responses back. Next week ill start making calls instead.

I followed another guys 1.9 tdi boat build using the same alpha drive and stock prop his merc 260 hp 350 had in a 25 ft sea ray cabin cruiser. About the same weight as my carver, same beam and approx length.

He was able to cruise comfortably at 26 mph but also had prop choice questions.

When i find this out i will relay the answer to you guys.

And that is correct, my tdi will put out @ 310 ft lbs of torque from 1800 to around 2400 rpms. Maybe a little more than that.

Thats based off of dyno results at the wheels in the vw passat. I'll have a little more at the flywheel.

The engine can be remapped to rev higher with only valve spring upgrades but i want to play it safe and keep the stock 4000 rpm redline. I hope to only need to hit 3500 plus running from storms.

I still hope for comfortable 2600 to 2800 cruising rpms @ 16 to 18 mph

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » January 10th, 2018, 9:07 am

Its been too cold to turn wrenches lately. It's been right at or below freezing for 2 weeks then yesterday it was 65. I love the South.

The little vw can put out some serious power. Being that my peak torque is between 1900 and 2800 rpms id like my rpms to stay there. Putting a tune and different turbo on there will expand that a little but mpgs will suffer.

In a vehicle, a tune, new injectors, larger turbo, rods and head studs will allow you 275ish hp and pushing some 400 ftlbs of torque. While that power would be amazing it would eat outdrives for lunch. Being in a boat and not a vehicle i doubt the rods would need to be replaced for this power level but the head studs would be a must. For less than 300 bucks the rods are cheap insurance.

That is well beyond the power range of the stock 350. And like the 350 you're not making that peak power all the time, just when you slam that throttle down to get that 300lbs buddy up on his skis...but this isnt that type of boat...and i don't need that type of power.

I hope this Sunday aftetnoon weather cooperates and i can maybe start pulling a sbc engine. Or maybe a passat engine. I will be documenting this along the way. Since this is both a boat restoration and a diesel conversion it won't be quick job. Would be nice to try her out under her own power some time this summer but being that im ditching power steering in favor of full hydrolics ill have more cash tied up in helm pumps and ram than i do the engine.

If anyone has any used heat exchangers or 1.7 helm pumps laying around I'm looking for some.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 11th, 2018, 11:33 pm

You would be surprised what an alpha outdrive can handle. If you do not have it over propped it can handle 400lbs if you don't slam the throttle on a regular basis. They were stock on many 350 mag and 454 applications. I also put a B&M blower on a built 350 pushing about 600 hp and 550 lbs with an alpha outdrive on a little regal about 8 years ago, my friends son still runs it today and he is HARD on it. (cant believe he didn't toast the drive yet)
A bravo 1, 2 or 3 will handle 400lbs without any issue if you are worried out failure.

Topic author Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » January 12th, 2018, 8:48 am

How much does the regal weigh? This carver is stated to weigh in at 5400 lbs. My 26ft sailboat and trailer are around 7000 and the carver feels heavier. The carver is sitting on a trailer about 3ft too long and a little over built.

I'll keep the motor somewhat stock besides the stage 1 tune for now netting me about 40 hp over stock and ftlbs of torque but it is hard not to want to push them for more power.

The plan for now is to just get her running and work out all the kinks.

Once we get the feel for the boat, how she handles i have more id like to do. After finding that carver offered the 26 with twin inboard volvo engines I'd like to glass up the transom and drop in 2 vw diesels.

I already have the extra gimball housing and outdrive.

When my kid graduates in about 8 years i want to spend my winters somewhere warm. The little lady doesn't like sailing and a trailerable (ramp launchable) sailboat is cramped for 2 for long term 2 to 3 months living off the hook.

This santa cruz is much roomier.

People take catalina 22s across to the Bahamas and anchor around the exumas and other cays.

I'd do the same with my Sanjuan 26 giving i had a more adventurous admiral.

With the santa Cruz i do have the luxury of a higher crusing speed, more liveable space and speed to find anchorage from a storm.

I do realize she's nearing the end of what many consider the end of her life span but even if i only get 5 years of use out of her the engines, outdrives, hydralic helms, rams, electronics and windlass are all easily removable and able to drop into another newer hull and in the winter a good sound dry hull with no trailer and bad engine or outdrive can be had for less than 1500 bucks between the Georgia and Virginia coast.

So i don't look at it as a project that will ever be completed, but isn't that any boat that hasn't been sold?

Return to “The Project Center”