Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Owner!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
dalton62
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Santego 2767, Twin 3.7L Mercruisers

New Owner!

Postby dalton62 » July 10th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Hey everyone, I am now the new proud owner of a 1988 Santego 2767. It's an awesome boat and I'm super excited. Having said that I have a couple questions if ya'll don't mind pointing me in the right direction (I'm about to search the forum as well but with any new site I always try to post a intro post before anything else).

My engine trim isn't working at all. Tomorrow I'm going to be doing the usual running around with a multimeter to figure out where there's power and whatnot, but I was wondering if there are any known problem places I should start looking first (like hidden fuses and such). The previous owner just had one of the engines completely pulled and redone and completely went through the other, so I'm thinking it may be as simple as they forgot to hook a power wire back up (at least I'm hoping it's that simple), or just a bad switch. It DID work before hand apparently. Any tips?

Also, I'm really not digging the fact that the two fuel tanks are completely separate for each engine. Has anyone made a crossover or have any reason why that'd be a bad idea?

I'm also needing to replace the trim tabs and I was wondering if there was a way I could go wider than the 8x12's that are currently on it. The shape of the hull has me thinking I won't but if anyone has done it I'd love to hear how you positioned them.

Finally, the boat is equipped with the dual 3.7L Mercruisers so what can I expect to get for fuel economy, top speed, and cruising speed? I know each boat is a little different and I'll have to investigate it on my own but as a rough estimate?

Thanks!
1988 Santego 2767 Twin 3.7L Mercruisers

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: New Owner!

Postby Ramsport47 » July 11th, 2017, 6:08 am

Hello and welcome.

The trim pumps have a biggish square fuse on the solenoid pack that manages the power...check that first.

Other than more hoses, no reason to not put crossover valves on

Is your hull the early flatter bottom or the deeper Vee? Regardless, Carver always does a pretty good job of properly tabbing their boats.

Lastly, <y old 2757 Montego had those engines...topped out at about 38 and did roughly 10 GPH at cruise of 24 MPH. They're great engine, but do require maintenance...tune-ups, oil changes, etc.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 11th, 2017, 6:10 am

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 11th, 2017, 6:11 am

Ahoy and Welcome! You've come to the right place. Tracing the electrical is the right approach to your OD trim issue. Fuel tanks are separate. Never crossed them for the simple fact why would you want all that extra plumbing? And would teeing the supply lines rob one engine of fuel? Don't think trim tabs bigger than the haul design is made for is a waste. Good luck with your issues!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 11th, 2017, 7:09 am

Welcome aboard.

There are two black cables that look like speaker wire pairs that go through each transom assembly. They have bullet connectors on them that would have to be disconnected when the engine was removed. Follow the cables from the transom assembly until you find the connectors. They'll either be fastened to the transom or the engine and hookup may have been forgotten after engine install. One of the cables is for the trim sender on the strb side of the drive and the other is for the trim limit switch on the port side of the drive. If the limit switch has failed in the open position, it will not allow the drive to trim up. By-passing the switch by hot wiring the bullet connectors and trying the trim will tell you if the problem is with the limit switch or not. A meter will also tell you if the switch is in the open position. Certainly do your electrical checks but don't discount the possibility of coincidental component failure at the same time the engine was pulled, such as limit switches, the trim switches at the helm controls, pumps, fuses, etc.

Does the trailer trim function work?

Nothing wrong with incorporating a fuel source selection circuit as long as the engines are still drawing through their own separate lines otherwise they may starve of fuel if the lines are big enough. Tanks are typically equipped with more than one fuel port to draw from, some have three for engine, crossover and generator. You'd be looking for a three-way valve for each engine like the one in the link. It'll allow the engine to draw from one tank or the other:
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56223

dalton62
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dalton62 » July 11th, 2017, 11:17 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm sitting in the salon right now getting ready to go out into the heat and figure this trim issue out

dalton62
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dalton62 » July 11th, 2017, 10:18 pm

UPDATE! The rain came in before I could get too much accomplished, however, I was able to get the down switch for the starboard engine to respond but the other two buttons I had no luck with and nothing for the port switches. I'm thinking the switches are the issue but I cant find a part number or anything to purchase a replacement. Even the guy at West Marine was stumped. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 12th, 2017, 6:40 am

Show us a picture of the switches. I assume they are part of the remote control so show us a picture of that too and someone may be able to help.

Australia
Golfgippsland
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Santego 2767 mid cabin express

Postby Golfgippsland » July 17th, 2017, 2:33 am

Hi I have the same boat and engines as you. This is a great site for all carver information. It's great to have another santego owner to refer too. All the best and cheers from oz. :beergood:
Gippsland lakes Australia
1989 Carver 2767 Santego
1971 v156 glastron modified
1985 whittley cruisemaster
1982 2950 Bayliner offshore express

United States of America
Phono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767

Postby Phono » September 3rd, 2019, 11:51 am

Hi and welcome; I just join the forum after reading your post as I also have an 1988 Santego with same exact problem and believe it could be just a matter of removing control buttons (both of them) to make sure voltage is getting there and proceed to clean any oxidation with CRC electronic spray.. Problem for me is - probably same for you - will be how to remove them??? i don't see any screw around. I've removed even the UP/DOWN label but couldn't find any screw as well. Hoping anyone could help. I'll post a closer pic sometime tonight as it will help to make sense of the prob..

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”