Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sun Pads

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: Sun Pads

Postby Wayne162 » February 13th, 2018, 11:17 pm

After I priced with Carver, I checked with a guy local to me that has an upholstery shop, does marine grade work and has been really reasonable with cash work I have brought him. I showed him the pads from my Carver parts manual and he told me the price Carver had was about right for him to make them for what its worth,,,

:usa:

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Sun Pads

Postby Midnightsun » February 14th, 2018, 5:05 am

I would say $1000 custom made for the pair is about the going price. I am sure you may be able to get it done a little cheaper however there is the workmanship not to mention the materials used. There is quite a difference in pricing within "marine grade" stuff.

As for a few words regarding sun pads. They are nice but do need to be made properly. They must have a quality mesh on the underside so they can breath. The foam needs to be encased in a resistant soft plastic so it does not get wet. Never leave the pads in place when you leave the boat during the week otherwise they will damage the gelcoat over time not to mention they will become disgusting and rot away in a few years if you don't. I learned this through trial and error/experiance over many years. The last set I had was 10 years old, still looked like new however they were always brought into the cockpit every time we left the marina. I do not have any on the Carver and do not want any. Too much maintenance but mainly because as we get up in age we tend to not sit in the sun 24/7 like we used to. Much prefer the shade :captain2:

As for a template, forget it, not going to happen no matter how detailed you are when it comes to positioning the snaps. I suggest you purchase a snap gun and install the snaps yourself if you cannot get your guy to come to the boat. I learned a long time ago it comes in handy many a times. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Boating Discussion”