Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Surviving Hurricane Matthew!

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Surviving Hurricane Matthew!

Postby Wayne162 » October 10th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Hi all, we all know Carvers are well built and my 405 was no exception. She took the full brunt of Matthew and survived the storm. I am not back in the area yet due to the damage left behind but will post more after I get see her in person. I have attached a you tube link from my neighbor Manny that he posted today. In the video to the right of Manning's sailboat "Viking", is a blue trawler. To the right of that trawler is our Carver "Change in Latitude". The dock broke two slips seaward from us during Hurricane Matthew and blocked the marina off from the rest of the world. He told me that not seen in the video is a Bertram sport fisher sinking. Our Carver took the hit and survived. The steal pilings are gone and the marina depth runs about 8 feet once inside. I am not sure the weight of Carolina Girl was the issue but probably was contributory. The Piling height may have been exceeded as the surge reached 13 " +.

From what I could see and was told the sundeck railing mounted panels on the port side along with the corner piece is gone. I know members have asked about these to replace in the past. If anybody had luck I would appreciate info on obtaining the panel and especially the corner piece. Thanks
:captain:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”