Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Capacity of my boat

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Montego Jack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 27' Montego

Capacity of my boat

Postby Montego Jack » June 2nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

The family is coming up for a boat ride this weekend and I was wondering what the capacity of persons of my boat is. It's a 27' Carver Montego. I haven't been up to the boat the last two weekends to check, but shouldn't there be a plate on the boat telling me this information? I couldn't find anything in the printed out owners manual I got off Carver's website.
Thanks,
Jack

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Capacity of my boat

Postby waybomb » June 2nd, 2017, 8:38 pm

Probably won't find a plate on your size boat. If water starts coming in, you have too many people on the boat.

Seriously, one for every seat place and you should be fine.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
Montego Jack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 27' Montego

Postby Montego Jack » June 2nd, 2017, 10:36 pm

Okay thanks. Just wasn't sure if there were any laws on how many.
Jack

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 2nd, 2017, 11:57 pm

I think the rating is required only for vessels 20' or less. There is a formula of length x beam /15, but that is just a very rough calculation. Using that, I could put 28 people on my boat but I don't think I'd ever do that. I've had 18 and that was pretty full.

On larger boats it's more about stability than it is flotation (which is the issue on smaller boats). Which also means that lake conditions also dictate the max passengers. If you want a good read on the subject, there's the NTSB (or USCG?) report on the 31' Silverton that was overloaded in Long Island sound a couple years ago. Gives you some things to think about.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”