Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1999 Carver 380 Santego Hull Repair

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Helkey0214
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 32' Carver Mariner (thinking of buying)

1999 Carver 380 Santego Hull Repair

Postby Helkey0214 » November 7th, 2017, 3:21 pm

My husband and I are in the market for a Santego and found one that was damaged in the storms in Texas. However, the damage could be extensive and I'm not even sure how much there is at this point. Waiting for more information from the owners.
What I have is in the pictures below and the fact that water did get inside the boat but did not damage the engines or generator. This has been sitting in the yard for some time and has had time to dry out but would the fiberglas hull repair be too much to undertake or too expensive? My husband has some former fiberglass repair however with vehicle body shops. But we are obviously looking to find an experienced boat repair facility for this job if at all possible. We are in the middle of missouri/illinois and not many around here that I know of for this type of job.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated as we are new to the boat world and want to make the best possible decision for us in the long run.
00u0u_17YLLUsOkbC_600x450.jpg

00k0k_izZFDCqu2wv_600x450.jpg

00707_2VS01xWNb5I_600x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 1999 Carver 380 Santego Hull Repair

Postby tomschauer » November 7th, 2017, 5:12 pm

If I were you I would be certain to look at the boat. The fiberglass may be the least expensive repair. We water, especially salt water get into places it wasn't meant to be, the dollars can add up quickly. Even if the engines and generator did not ingest water there is a good chance there components may be damaged. Such as starters, alternators fuel pumps etc. Some may operate today and fail tomorrow. Then you have the 12 and 120 volt wiring, shift and throttle cables, floors, carpets air conditioners pumps etc. etc.
Also, if the current owners insurance company paid out a total loss, you will most likely not be able to get insurance other than liability.
What seems like a good deal, may end up costing you a fortune to cut up and dispose of.
Be careful and best of luck!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 7th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Any wire the salt water touched is shot, for sure.
Unless you get the boat for a couple grand, and are very handy and don't mind sweat equity, walk away.
Even if you fix everything visible, I'd be concerned about reliability, especially of you get into some weather.
If you need to pay somebody to go through al the systems, you'll end on the short end of the stick. Think about it, if the insurance adjusted thought it would be economically feasible to fix, it would have been. Insurance companies are tighter than Cratchet.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Welcome aboard.
Helkey0214 wrote:Source of the post.....the damage could be extensive and I'm not even sure how much there is at this point. Waiting for more information from the owners.....

I don't recommend relying on what the owner tells you. You need your own eyes on this or at least someone working on your behalf with your best interests in mind. Source a licensed surveyor to give a proper professional opinion of its condition. You should also source a fiberglass technician that can assess on site and provide you with an idea of what you're in for in repair costs. Preferably, these people have no association with the owner or marina, insurance company, etc. As mentioned, if she's been partially submerged, it's likely that after you get her going, you'll continue to experience ongoing gremlins for years to come. Without physically inspecting her, it's impossible to tell if it'll be a good deal in the long run or a money pit.

Don't make an emotional decision here, it could cost you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

United States of America
captainrod
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver Santego 380

Postby captainrod » February 10th, 2019, 10:43 am

I am new to the foru m. I am doing a restore on a 1998 Santego 380. The previous owner was actually selling parts off the boat. Do you know if this boat was sold or the name of the yard in Texas. Perhaps they sold it for salvage.

Thank You

Return to “General Boating Discussion”