Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hot of the press from Boattest.com

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Hot of the press from Boattest.com

Postby feeez » December 6th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hot of the press from Boattest.com

Postby bud37 » December 6th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Will be some interesting to see who appears as the possible buyer, I believe in one article , they had hoped to have the deal done by mid 2018......sounds like maybe ,could there be a pot on the stove??........ :beergood: .. :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » December 6th, 2017, 3:50 pm

I didn't know...
The general public has always had a misconception of how many new boats are actually sold in the U.S. In 2000, there were 342,000 new boats sold in the U.S. – outboard boats of all kinds, inboard ski/wake boats, inboard cruisers, and sterndrive boats. Today, new boat sales, in the same categories, total less than half that number.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » December 7th, 2017, 6:19 pm

I had no idea that sales dropped off that far either. There have been conversations on the dock about who can possibly afford these new boats. I guess the answer is - not too many! I always look around the marinas as I travel and see the boats that are there. My unofficial survey is a lot of 10 to 20+ year old boats out there still doing fine. What's going to happen to available boats to buy in the future?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 7th, 2017, 6:39 pm

I certainly knew sales of larger new boats were way down, but I did not realize how far. There used to be many dealers in our boating area that stocked millions of $ in new big boats every year and would flip the stock a couple time each year (I consider big over 30' for our area). Some of these no longer stock or sell any boats and the one that do stock and sell 12-27 footers. Also, in our area, marina space used to be at a premium. If you didn't pay your summer slip by February 1, you were out, because they had a waiting list. There are now few if any totally full marinas.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 8th, 2017, 9:23 am

I agree with you guys, true , when you check around the marinas, it seems there are very very few new boats compared to older. Geesh you can spend 80k on a 19' fishing boat now.....fits in the garage though... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » December 8th, 2017, 11:41 pm

The cost of new boats has far outstripped inflation. That is one of the causes for the decline in new boat sales.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » December 9th, 2017, 9:21 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Will be some interesting to see who appears as the possible buyer, I believe in one article , they had hoped to have the deal done by mid 2018......sounds like maybe ,could there be a pot on the stove??........ :beergood: .. :popcorn:

Someone I know in the industry believes that Marinemax will end up owning Sea Ray. Doesn't sound good. From #1 boat brand in the world to being owned by a dealer group...
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » December 10th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Thanks for that link feeez. Interesting read.
With luck our friends at the Carver group stay strong.
Their customer support and response to inquiries has been excellent.
As I am new to this brand, I can say that as far as I am concerned they are a top notch organization. I hope they are around for many years.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » December 16th, 2017, 8:10 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Thanks for that link feeez. Interesting read.
With luck our friends at the Carver group stay strong.
Their customer support and response to inquiries has been excellent.
As I am new to this brand, I can say that as far as I am concerned they are a top notch organization. I hope they are around for many years.

Carver has weathered many storms, and, with some struggling, has always come back. I think it may be the people of the upper midwest where Carver is located that help keep existing owners interested and recommending Carver to new people.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Return to “General Boating Discussion”