Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Any issues after adding extended swim platform

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Ozzymann
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 350 Mariner

Any issues after adding extended swim platform

Postby Ozzymann » February 17th, 2018, 11:31 am

New to the forum and in the process of purchasing a 1997 350 Mariner. I'm considering adding a 4' extended swim platform (which would double the current size) and wondering if anyone has experienced any performance problems after adding an after-market swim platform? Specifically wondering if the extended swim platform would interfere with performance while accelerating - i.e., cause difficulty getting boat to plane - or cause problems decelerating with water coming over the back of the platform. I've looked online - and have found suppliers who have created similar sized platforms for 350 Mariners - but just wondering about owners' experiences. The photo below is the type of swim platform I'm considering. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Any issues after adding extended swim platform

Postby bud37 » February 17th, 2018, 11:41 am

Now thats a patio.....looks like you could put a table and chairs out there.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 17th, 2018, 11:53 am

Welcome aboard. The unit in the picture is a Swimplatforms.com unit. They're recommended and I suspect they've taken acceleration into account for drag but every boat reacts different even within the same design. The Mariner has a pretty high platform so it's probably fine. Only someone with the same model boat and platform you're considering can answer that and even then it's not a guaranty. If digging into the water is only slight during acceleration, it may just be a matter of practice to find the best way to avoid that. If it's exaggerated though, it will be a problem that will haunt you. Knew someone that boat a boat with that issue and wasn't caught in the sea trial. It was so bad even on plane that he sold the boat in the same season. As far deceleration, most of the time you can avoid getting swamped by just doing it slowly and staying ahead of the swell.

Canada
Aqpweene
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby Aqpweene » February 17th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Hi. I have a 350 mariner with a very similar swim platform of the same size. It’s one of the best parts of the boat. No problem with acceleration or deceleration. One speed that water will roll over the top of the platform is at about 11 mph. This a transition speed for me as I usually cruise either slower than that at around 8 mph or up at about 19 mph. At those speeds the platform is well clear of the water. I carry my dingy on davits on the back of the platform with no issues. Now one slow speed handling issue. When rotating the boat off of a dock or wall, the side of the platform will make contact with the wall right at the most aft location. This is due to the props being located well forward of the platform aft edge which causes the center of rotation to be a bit forward, and also due to the square design of the platform. My solution was to add small pop up cleats at each corner of the platform and use a small fender on each side.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » February 18th, 2018, 11:06 am

I agree with Aqpweene, As this boat accelerates from trawler speed to plane the stern does not dip down as express cruisers tend to do. It just kind raises up an on to plane and the same on the way down.

Nice looking project good luck.

Cheers
Fraser..... :beergood:
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Topic author Canada
Ozzymann
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ozzymann » February 18th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Thanks to all for your responses.
We're hoping to increase the useable space at the dock and at anchor - as the existing platform is limited. Aqpweene - just wondering if you installed the extended platform - or was it on the boat when you bought it? Given the slow handling issues, would you recommend a shorter platform - or would you stick with the long one? We're still leaning toward the longer version. Do you have any photos of the cleats and bumpers that you installed? Fraser - thanks for your perspective on the handling - it helps to hear from someone with experience. We're new to this world - so any advice is appreciated.
Cheers

Canada
Aqpweene
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Aqpweene » February 18th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Hi, our platform was on the boat when we bought it. Not sure of the brand but it is laminated on top of the factory platform so it looks like one piece from the top. Here is a pic before I installed the davits and cleats. I will be going by the boat next weekend so I can take some pics of the cleats. As far as the size is concerned we love it and would not suggest getting a smaller one. This makes the cockpit area very versatile so people can spread out if you have a large group. Or, it makes a nice place to have dinner when you are anchored. A small table and couple of bistro chairs fit great.

Cheers
Paul
882D97EA-B184-49C5-A141-C7343D3E3020.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 19th, 2018, 9:50 am

Ozzymann wrote:Source of the post Thanks to all for your responses.
We're hoping to increase the useable space at the dock and at anchor - as the existing platform is limited. Aqpweene - just wondering if you installed the extended platform - or was it on the boat when you bought it? Given the slow handling issues, would you recommend a shorter platform - or would you stick with the long one? We're still leaning toward the longer version. Do you have any photos of the cleats and bumpers that you installed? Fraser - thanks for your perspective on the handling - it helps to hear from someone with experience. We're new to this world - so any advice is appreciated.
Cheers

Cant help with the handling,...the only issue might be , will your boat still fit in the same slip and will there be an up charge for the slip, haul out, storage etc cause the boat got longer....that is all I can see....nice though, wish ours was like that....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Ozzymann
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ozzymann » February 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Ozzymann wrote:Source of the post Thanks to all for your responses.
Cheers

Cant help with the handling,...the only issue might be , will your boat still fit in the same slip and will there be an up charge for the slip, haul out, storage etc cause the boat got longer....that is all I can see....nice though, wish ours was like that....... :beergood:

Thanks for the heads-up - our plan is to stick with declaring the 35 foot length - we'll see if we get a challenge from the Harbour Master. It's all in the eye of the beholder - and the one who holds the tape measure :)
Really appreciate the responses from everyone.
Looking forward to participating in Carver Yacht Owners group.
Cheers

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » February 20th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Our marina would definitely treat the boat for overall length, tip to tail, for anything where it would affect material i.e. shrink wrap.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Return to “General Boating Discussion”