Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Looking at a 1987 Carver, need help!

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Locqlynn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Looking at a 1987 Carver, need help!

Postby Locqlynn » September 8th, 2022, 4:20 pm

First off thank you for taking the time to helping a person 100% clueless.

My wife and I have been talking about house boats for some time. Today we toured a very nice and well kept 1987 4207 aft cabin and we are in love. She’s wanting 90k for the boat.

I went to a few sites and the 90k seemed over priced. Before I go to the bank I was wanting some opinions.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for responding. I’m very much out of my element here.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Looking at a 1987 Carver, need help!

Postby buster53 » September 8th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Go to yachtworld.com and search for other late 80’s, 4207’s and compare to see if the price falls in line. The 4207 is a nice boat, but definitely needs diesels if you plan on doing much cruising with it. With gas, it will be a fuel hungry slow dog. I used to have a 3807 with gas and we always ran it at hull speed, about 8 mph, because it used so much fuel.

Just because the asking price is $90k, offer what you think is fair and are willing to pay. She will either accept, reject or counter. My guess, it will be a counter.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 8th, 2022, 6:07 pm

Welcome aboard. Certainly do your homework re current values but I wouldn't put in any offer until you get a proper survey first. It might reveal things that can help to negotiate a lower price. You'll need the survey for insurance anyway.

Good luck, I hope everything works out, and keep us posted.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 8th, 2022, 7:41 pm

Welcome aboard. If it's gas, yes, overpriced.
Had a 89 4207 with gas engines. I hope you are on a small lake, not a great lake or the ocean. You will not like it with gas engines.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Locqlynn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Locqlynn » September 8th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Awesome, you guys have taught me so much. I’m going to reread all the info you have on this site. Can you explain to me how gas vs Diesel engines differ. In cost, mpg, and maintenance etc

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 8th, 2022, 8:43 pm

Gas 454 or even 502 will only give you around 350 hp and maybe 300 lb ft of torque.
Diesels provide much more torque and swing much bigger props.
The cat 3208 were marginally better than the gas engines.
But were better.
I drove a 4207 with 500hp cats. The boat was a dream to drive, had the torque needed to get that puppy out if it's own way. I would not hesitate to that take that boat out in almost any weather.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 8th, 2022, 9:29 pm

Diesels would definitely command a higher price, but still may not justify $90K for that boat. It might, but for that vintage it would have to be pristine and have a lot of updates (recent electronics being one big one). Hard to give an exact number, but diesels might buy a $20K premium over the same boat with gas in this chunk of the market.

Diesels would be about 30% more efficient than gas in a MPG measurement. Part of that is just due to the fact that a gallon of diesel has a higher BTU content than a gallon of gasoline. The other advantage is that a diesel cycle is a bit more efficient than gas at using the heat of combustion better at sending it to the crankshaft. One easy way to see this is in the spark timing on a gas engine. The gas actually starts burning WELL BEFORE the piston even gets to the beginning of the power stroke and all that heat is WASTED. Diesels inject slightly before the power stroke starts, but don't actually start burning until the beginning of the power stroke, so all the heat from combustion goes towards pushing that piston down.

Diesels also benefit from the lower RPM, which allows more of the fuel to burn INSIDE the cylinder while doing work, while a gas engine (at its higher RPM) sends a lot of those hot gases out the exhaust because there isn't enough time to completely burn inside the cylinder.

You won't actually get a 30% lower fuel bill though, because diesel is currently more expensive than gas on a gallon-for-gallon basis. No real good reason for that, as it actually takes LESS refining even for low-sulfur diesel than it does for gasoline. The pricing is just the "market at work".

Locqlynn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Locqlynn » September 8th, 2022, 9:40 pm

Thank you, I've been reading about that on, https://www.galleonmarine.com/--diesel- ... comparison
Thanks for your detailed lesson on it.

If everything is in good working order, would 80k be more of a fair deal?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 8th, 2022, 11:05 pm

Viper wrote:Welcome aboard. Certainly do your homework re current values but I wouldn't put in any offer until you get a proper survey first. It might reveal things that can help to negotiate a lower price. You'll need the survey for insurance anyway.

Boat selling doesn’t work that way. If it is being sold through a broker, absolutely no survey or sea trial will be allowed before a written contract signed by both parties. If the boat is being sold directly by the seller, he/she might allow it, but not likely.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 9th, 2022, 7:12 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post .....If it is being sold through a broker, absolutely no survey or sea trial will be allowed before a written contract signed by both parties. If the boat is being sold directly by the seller, he/she might allow it, but not likely.

It doesn't always work that way, at least not up here but I get what you're saying. A typical contract though will include conditions that it's a successful sea trial and that the survey come back with no major concerns. The presence of negative findings on either is when you'd use the results to revisit the offer and negotiate a fairer price. Many a contract has been nullified/broken as a result of negative findings after the fact. I'm sure every broker has dozens of examples where contracts fell through because of bad sea trials, bad surveys, rejected financing, etc.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”