Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor Ball?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anchor Ball?

Postby km1125 » February 21st, 2023, 8:48 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I seem to remember some sail boats with them....Lake Ontario. Really there is nowhere to put one on most power boats with the exception of trawler styles.

I wonder if it mentions distance from shore and designated anchorages being exceptions to the rule.

Designated anchorages are definitely an exception. No light or ball required (but maybe still a good idea).

United States of America
Wsullivan71
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 Motor Yacht

Postby Wsullivan71 » February 21st, 2023, 3:47 pm

As a professional mariner, I can assure you that all commercial vessels have these "day shapes" on board and use them. I wish that more recreational boaters would familiarize themselves with the "rules" and follow suit. It may sound trivial but it's not always easy to see a recreational vessel anchor rode from the bridge of a 200 meter oil tanker and having an anchor ball displayed when required would give me peace of mind when navigating a narrow channel.

To be specific:
Rule 20 (b) states "the rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise (and from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility.)"
Rule 20 (d) states "the rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day."

So yes, you must display an anchor ball during the day. The black ball must have a diameter of not less than 0.6 meter. In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length, shapes of lesser dimensions but commensurate with the size of the vessel may be used (straight from 72 COLREGS Annex I (6.) Shapes.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 21st, 2023, 4:01 pm

Wsullivan71,

Good to see someone has knowledge of the elusive ball. Question for you, in my original post or post #1, I have a link where it seems to state that in 2008 there were revisions called "division 240" in that boats under 24M do not need to use the ball, is this correct? Now since all rules and laws are so poorly written one could interpret this as not required to have one on board however one must possibly be required to deploy one if one were to anchor. Then it goes on to say at "sea" is this only applicable at sea or are inland lakes and rivers not part of this rule?

since the introduction of Division 240 (2008), which sets out the safety rules applicable to pleasure boating at sea on vessels up to 24 m in length, this anchor ball is no longer part of the mandatory equipment to be carried on board.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Wsullivan71
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 Motor Yacht

Postby Wsullivan71 » February 21st, 2023, 4:18 pm

Hans, your answer can be found in the article you linked:
Article 240-2.09 relating to the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (RIPAM) states that " Pleasure craft are required to comply with the provisions made applicable, depending on the ship's characteristics, by Decree 77-733 of 6 July 1977 publishing the Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972, done at London on 20 October 1972. "

In short, ships, even pleasure craft, must comply with these regulations. Therefore, if the characteristics of the vessel require that an anchor ball be carried by the RIPAM, it must be on board in application of article 240-2.09.

The Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS) 1972 apply to both Inland and International waters. I guess one could argue that they never anchor if questioned about the location of their ball but I'm sure that won't go over well with the inspection team :-)

Anyway, sorry to bore all of you...let's get back to the important stuff of getting our boats back in shape for boating season!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”