Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement porthole

Used boat parts, used Carver boat parts, trailers, dinghies, outboards, props...everything but the boats they were attached to. ALL ADS ARE FREE - USERS MUST HAVE AT LEAST 10 POSTS TO PLACE AN AD
Forum rules
All classified ads for boat parts are free. Please be as specific as possible in describing your item. You can upload pictures too!

CarverYachtOwners.com and the owners of this forum take no responsibility for the authenticity of ads or legitimacy of items being sold. Buyers, please buy responsibly.

To place an ad start a new Topic. We reserve the right to delete ads from users with fewer than 10 posts.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Replacement porthole

Postby Grafunkus » August 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm

We have damaged the port side's v-berth porthole and it needs replacing. It is currently taped with Gorilla outdoor repair tape which seems to be holding up okay, but looks awful. I have contacted Pompanette & Great Lakes Skipper. Not holding out much hope with either of them as the measurements I have taken are not matching up with any of the measurements that they provide. It is for a 1985 3607. Full width is 17 9/16 by 9 9/16. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on where else we might be able to find a replacement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Replacement porthole

Postby km1125 » August 5th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Is it the same size as the ones in the fwd head (both sides) and the galley and dinette? Mine were all the same size in those six locations (actually so were the 6 in the aft part of the boat, but later models those 6 were replaced with just 4 but they were longer).

You need to make sure that the measurements you're providing and what they are expecting are the same.... some folks measure them by the cut-out dimensions and some by overall dimensions. I'm surprised Pompanette couldn't help because I think you can still get repair parts from them.

In a pinch, you can get some 1/4" smoked or clear plexiglass, cut and drill it to match and replace it. It would probably look and work better than tape. You won't be able to open it but it should seal watertight so you have infinite time to locate a replacement.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » August 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

KM1125 - I think the ones in the head are smaller, will double check when we go back out. Here is a picture of the damage, I should have posted it earlier. I won't get the cut out measurements until the boat is lifted in the fall. Your suggestion is something I have thought about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Dsbrown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3607

Postby Dsbrown » August 18th, 2021, 7:02 pm

I have the same boat, they are Bowmar gray series 724-AD, they are a 5-8 month lead time and pretty pricey, I know because I waited 7 months for mine.

I happen to have 1 spare from when I replaced several of mine last year. PM me if interested, I'm in southern MI

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » August 19th, 2021, 8:37 am

Dsbrown wrote:Source of the post I have the same boat, they are Bowmar gray series 724-AD, they are a 5-8 month lead time and pretty pricey, I know because I waited 7 months for mine.

I happen to have 1 spare from when I replaced several of mine last year. PM me if interested, I'm in southern MI

Message sent! Thanks

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » September 30th, 2021, 9:06 am

Well, our quest continues. Now that the boat is out of the water, we removed the porthole to get the cutout measurement as required to order the replacement. Of course, the portholes available don't seem to match the measurement we got. I decided to go ahead and order the slightly smaller one. Got on the phone with a supplier (not Bomar) only because they show that they have it in stock and it is a 9 week lead time with Bomar. Turns out the one they have is white. Ours is black. Went back to the Bomar page and it shows it is white. Just sent a quick email to Bomar to see if it is available in black. Not sure what to do if it is only available in white!!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 30th, 2021, 9:33 am

When you say "Bomar", do you really mean Pompanette? Pompanette bought out Bomar and the previous (original) Gray Industries that made the parts for Carver.

https://pompanettellc.com/current-catal ... portlight/

Mine were about 8" high by 16" wide. Mine was an '83, but I think all the forward portlights were the same on subsequent years. The pic below is the email response I got from Pompanette (although it was about 20 years ago, so I don't know if Ms Merrill is still there). Definitely call or write them, as their customer support was always great (might be a little slower now due to COVID though). I'm sure the long delay in shipping is because they probably don't have them in stock and actually would have to dust off the original molds and cast some new ones. Think about maybe buying an extra one and replacing another older one and saving your original older one for an emergency replacement. Also, once you get the part number(s) confirmed, then search around on the Internet because some supplier somewhere might have one still sitting on the shelf.

pompanette.jpg

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » October 1st, 2021, 8:24 am

Yes I do mean Pompanette. I have been in touch with Barb there. She provided the part number for the black model - 715-AD. Ordered one from Defender. It should be here next week.!!!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 1st, 2021, 10:25 pm

Better known as Bomar/Pompanette! Pompanette LLC. Very helpful people.

United States of America
mikesparker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3227 w/Crusader 220s

Postby mikesparker » November 2nd, 2021, 11:46 pm

Not to hijack a thread, but isn't there another manufacturer that makes portlights that will fit our Carvers??

Return to “Boat Parts For Sale”