Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ineresting situation when river in flood

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author Great Britain
Daveb500Uk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin Double Flying Bridge.
Twin Volvo Penta

Ineresting situation when river in flood

Postby Daveb500Uk » January 10th, 2018, 4:56 am

So our river is in flood, currently the river is flowing at 5-6 knots. The speed limit on the river is 6 knots, So when running upstream you are fighting a 5-6 knot current, therefore to attain a 6 knot over ground speed your hull is actually running at 11-12 knot hull speed, now that's not a problem for my boat, however the wake you produce is the equated to the hull speed, not the over ground speed. even slowing to 4 knots over ground speed you are still producing quite a wake.
On our river we have a number of liveaboards who do not move, (state of their boats they will never move again, apart from vertically down). So on Sunday I managed to upset one or 2. Not only me thought, about 1/2 mile ahead was another baot with the same issue. To make headway you have to run to a given speed.
Returning down stream you have the opposite problem, tickover on my engines, and I was running at 7 knots over ground, but the hull speed through the water was 2 knots, zero wake.

Just food for thought.
Your only here once

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Ineresting situation when river in flood

Postby Viper » January 10th, 2018, 6:54 am

Interesting dilemma. You don't want to upset people but you need to do what you must to navigate safely. They're just going to have to understand that the only thing you can control is your boat, you can't change the conditions Mother Nature throws at you. I'm sure on a windy day, they'd want you to do whatever it takes to avoid crashing into their boat.
:captain:

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » January 10th, 2018, 8:38 am

These situations come up once in awhile. Not much you can do about it except smile and wave. I ran into one this year where my bow rider was stalling below 1000 RPMs. I had to return to the dock slightly above wake speed and got yelled at by another boat owner tied up at the dock. I figured it was better to throw a small wake than to stall and possible hit another boat.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » January 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Had a very similar thing happen on the Ashley River - right off the main city marina in Charleston SC. Had to have a wake simply to have steerage heading upstream on an ebb tide. Got pulled over by the local law enforcement. Ticketed. Went to court, showed the judge tides and current charts (this was back in the early 80s) for the time of the incident. Judge threw out the ticket and told the police officer to use some common sense next time. I can only guess the judge was a boater too.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”