Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Poll for NEW boat purchases.

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

How many have purchased a brand new boat over boating life so far ??

16-20 feet
43%
21-28 feet
33%
29-35 feet
14%
36-42 feet
10%
43-52 feet
No votes
wow 53 plus
No votes

Total votes: 21

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Poll for NEW boat purchases.

Postby Tireless » April 30th, 2021, 6:57 pm

Over the past 10 years I have purchase two brand new jet boats. Sea doo and then a Scarab in 2016. The current dinghy I have was purchased brand new as well. All three were at the boat show so they came with great prices and extended warranties. My current scarab I could sell for more than I paid for it, but we like it.

As for the big boats, all have been previously owned and normally at the 10 year old mark in their long life. At Crates in Keswick we would see the Carvers sold new for 1.2 Million and show up again in 3 years for $600 and they were already ridden hard and put away wet. So hugh savings on the used boat over the new IMHO. I couldn’t afford the depreciation.

Greg

United States of America
Y2K996
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 390 Cockpit Motoryacht 210HP 5.9L Cummins

Postby Y2K996 » May 1st, 2021, 4:00 am

Only new boat I purchased was a 1996 SeaDoo Speedster Twin Rotax Jet Boat. Had to get it new as it was only introduced the year before with a major problem in the 1995 model that was rectified the next year. Paid $12,300 for it and sold it for $4,500 four years later. Haven't bought a new boat since.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 1st, 2021, 5:41 pm

Very interesting so far....some points of view from the regulars...will be good to see further from the folk who have bought new and why.......looks like mostly entry level so far.

Our first big boat was only 6 years old when bought, we replaced darn near everything on that boat, it was done when we got it....interestingly enough we saw it for sale a few years back and it looked like the day we sold it in 95 ( same owner )..... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 5th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Almost 7 days, over 217 views, 18 votes and 77% for new boats under 29 feet......... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

Ya pretty normal IMO. The small more affordable market for the average guy is usually at the top. There's better margins on larger vessel sales though so some manufacturers stick with them only which I think is a mistake. I suspect it'd be better to diversify and capture a bigger market share by manufacturing large and small boats too. That's likely why some manufacturers that do that are still around today. Not everyone wants to pay high marina prices, they also like the portability of smaller boats, great for cottages, etc. etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 8th, 2021, 8:47 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post I suspect it'd be better to diversify and capture a bigger market share by manufacturing large and small boats too. That's likely why some manufacturers that do that are still around today.

Which ones make a range of boats in that large of a range ? Our little survey does not have a large sample but does show that any maker of large boats has the used market as it's greatest competitor it seems. .....The race is on.... :-D

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2021, 9:00 am

Sea Ray for example has been doing that for ever. It seems they've toned down the length of their larger offerings but still quite a variety of sizes from runabouts to cabin cruisers. Barring major economic influences, I think that's what's kept them in the game for so long and will likely continue to do so.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 8th, 2021, 9:13 am

I think Sea Ray only goes to 40' now so it seems they are focusing on the end that showed in the little survey here.....hmmmm. Who owns them now ?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 8th, 2021, 9:28 am

Sea Rays biggest offering is a 32 express. This is their lineup. Click on the "our boats" tab. https://www.searay.com/us/en.html
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2021, 10:27 am

Ya that's within the last couple of years or so and is why I said they've toned down their larger offerings. I think they're up to a 37' right now. I suspect that will change eventually and go larger again. My main point is the diversity of the market they're capturing. They'll likely go larger again but they'll probably still produce the runabouts too.
Last edited by Viper on May 8th, 2021, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”