Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

50 foot Carver...sinks...

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

Topic author United States of America
benica
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Aft cabin. 7.4 engines.

50 foot Carver...sinks...

Postby benica » April 4th, 2023, 8:38 pm

The Coast Guard says the 50-foot Carver Yacht called Nauti Dream was starting to sink and the crew called 911. They also hailed the Coast Guard for help on VHF Channel 16, but didn’t respond to Coast Guard callouts on the radio.
Local first responders located the cell phone that called 911 near Buoy 62 in the Chesapeake Bay, off Northumberland County in Virginia’s Northern Neck.
April 3, 2023

Sure would like to know more...why it sank for one..(well yeah...took on water)
But why? Hit something??

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 50 foot Carver...sinks...

Postby buster53 » April 4th, 2023, 9:37 pm

First boat on the scene and who fished the 8 people out of the water was the Smith Point Sea Rescue. They are a volunteer organization based out of Reedville. They also have a boat stationed at our marina a little further up the Potomac.
They are a wonderful organization and I’m fortunate to know current and past members of the group, including my late brother.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 5th, 2023, 12:45 am

Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 5th, 2023, 1:45 am

SPSR later learned that the crew of Nauti Dream was from Jackson, New Jersey. They’d just acquired the boat and were moving it from Virginia Beach back to New Jersey. SPSR reports it began taking on water just 30 minutes before it sank.

Any guess on what may have been forgotten to cause the sinking? Not much to go on since we do not know if the boat was launched for their trip or if she had already been in the water for quite some time. Forgotten winterization hose connection? Goods news is they all seem fine.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 5th, 2023, 8:03 am

Well, at least they were prepared!!

Coast Guard Station Milford Haven launched a 29-foot response boat and established communications with the eight people in the water via handheld radio. The mariners shot off flares and directed a rescue craft to their position.

I wouldn't want to be sitting in that COLD water for two seconds, let alone the long minutes that they were!! Glad everyone was AOK!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 5th, 2023, 9:48 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Any guess on what may have been forgotten to cause the sinking? Not much to go on since we do not know if the boat was launched for their trip or if she had already been in the water for quite some time. Forgotten winterization hose connection? Goods news is they all seem fine.

Quite the story, puts an exclamation point on being prepared. Is it possible the insurance company will try to recover or at least send a diver down depending on how deep I guess.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » April 5th, 2023, 12:34 pm

Wow! What a story! Must of been damm cold for sure. As long as everyone is okay!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 5th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Found a picture the boat however the listing is no longer there.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 12.40.39 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 5th, 2023, 12:51 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Any guess on what may have been forgotten to cause the sinking? Not much to go on since we do not know if the boat was launched for their trip or if she had already been in the water for quite some time. Forgotten winterization hose connection? Goods news is they all seem fine.

Quite the story, puts an exclamation point on being prepared. Is it possible the insurance company will try to recover or at least send a diver down depending on how deep I guess.

Probably not very deep. Other than the dredged channel and a fairly narrow spit that gets down to just over a hundred foot, the area appears to average 40' or less (a few areas a little more). Not sure exactly where the boat went down, but I marked the two locations where rescue crews launched from. I'm guessing the boat went down somewhere in between. I couldn't find "buoy 39", but I did find a 37, 38, 40, and 41.

boat_sinks_chart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 5th, 2023, 4:00 pm

Original story said bouy 62 which is about 5 miles from the mouth of the Great Wicomico. Your map shows where the local police launched from….not police, the Smith Point Sea Rescue, volunteer organization.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”