Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

50 foot Carver...sinks...

Chat with fellow Carver owners about cruising destinations and more. Plan rendezvous, raft ups & get together's here.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 50 foot Carver...sinks...

Postby km1125 » April 7th, 2023, 4:49 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Original story said bouy 62 which is about 5 miles from the mouth of the Great Wicomico. Your map shows where the local police launched from….not police, the Smith Point Sea Rescue, volunteer organization.

Thanks for that clarification. I got the "local police" thing from one of the articles.

So, for others referencing the chart above... the Great Wicomico is that inlet near the point I labelled "where the local police launched from". The survivors were picked up about a mile on the east side of that white area straight east from where the rescue crews launched.

From a different article, I also read "The yacht was new to the group, according to SPSR, and they were in the process of taking it from Virginia Beach to NJ when the incident occurred. The vessel had recently had repairs done and got into trouble due to catastrophic transom failure."

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 7th, 2023, 4:55 pm

The vessel had recently had repairs done and got into trouble due to catastrophic transom failure."

I saw that humungous swim platform and this was my first thought as to a cause. Any decent size waves would put some very serious forces on that thing. My guess is the swim platform took a beating and ripped a portion of the stern open. Correct me if I am wrong but that is not the original swim platform is it?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 7th, 2023, 7:01 pm

Midnightsun wrote:
The vessel had recently had repairs done and got into trouble due to catastrophic transom failure."

I saw that humungous swim platform and this was my first thought as to a cause. Any decent size waves would put some very serious forces on that thing. My guess is the swim platform took a beating and ripped a portion of the stern open. Correct me if I am wrong but that is not the original swim platform is it?

Yes, we would love to hear the rest of the story. True cause of the sinking and if it was swim platform related, how long ago was it added?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 7th, 2023, 7:39 pm

Also wonder how they make those hulls. Is the cockpit a "tack on" to another popular hull, or was there an entirely new hull made for that model? I recall seeing one boat (not this model, just an older Carver) where the props and rudder were well forward of the "stern", more aligning with what would have been the stern if you took off the cockpit.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 8th, 2023, 8:26 am

km1125 wrote:Also wonder how they make those hulls. Is the cockpit a "tack on" to another popular hull, or was there an entirely new hull made for that model? I recall seeing one boat (not this model, just an older Carver) where the props and rudder were well forward of the "stern", more aligning with what would have been the stern if you took off the cockpit.

The Carver 500 is the 455/456 with the added cockpit. I’m only guessing it is an add on, not a new hull with the props well forward of the transom. Again, only guessing.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 8th, 2023, 11:21 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post

Have a closer look at your pic ....it appears it may be one of those lift type platforms only judging by the struts underneath, there is some considerable engineering going on there......the supports under and those add on type pieces on either hull side back corner.

IMO something like that would take loading not only down but up as well with a following sea and powering down.... It would add tremendous forces to the factory hull joint ( which is a number of feet away ). I have seen hulls extended to lengthen a hull, and they have required some good engineering to complete it properly.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 8th, 2023, 12:05 pm

Now that you mention it, yes it does look like a hydraulic swim platform. Regardless, its huge, almost like adding a patio to the rear of the boat. looks like it has been on there for some time as there is molding damage to the starboard rear corner.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 8th, 2023, 12:20 pm

Be nice to have some salvage contacts down in that area. Given it's not that deep, I'd bet they do haul it out of the water. Would be neat to see some "after" pics.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 8th, 2023, 12:27 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Be nice to have some salvage contacts down in that area. Given it's not that deep, I'd bet they do haul it out of the water. Would be neat to see some "after" pics.

I would like to see the survey report/comments prior to sale..... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Postby mjmason1 » April 23rd, 2023, 3:49 pm

The wings added to either side of the transom are the hydraulics for the platform. It was common set up for a lift at the time.

Return to “Boating & Cruising Lifesyle”