Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2003 Diesel 366 blowers on all the time?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author New Zealand
hargsnz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 366, 2003, twin Cummins 280HP, Kohler 8.0,

2003 Diesel 366 blowers on all the time?

Postby hargsnz » November 21st, 2017, 10:58 pm

My new to me 2003 366 has twin Cummins 280Hp engines. When I turn the ignition on, the blowers start & run continuosly - blowing in & sucking out.
In my previous diesel boats the blowers were activated only when re-fuelling.

Is this how the boat was delivered new? or has the PO changed the wiring for some reasons?

I note that I have a lot of black soot stains in all the carpet joins & I guess this may be why.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 2003 Diesel 366 blowers on all the time?

Postby Viper » November 22nd, 2017, 6:34 am

Some diesel applications are set up that way to deliver a larger volume of air. Are they large flat square fan style like you'd find in a computer only much larger or do they look just like a typical blower?

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 22nd, 2017, 8:24 am

My TAMD74's operate the same way - key on, blowers on.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 22nd, 2017, 9:23 am

hargsnz wrote:Source of the post My new to me 2003 366 has twin Cummins 280Hp engines. When I turn the ignition on, the blowers start & run continuosly - blowing in & sucking out.
In my previous diesel boats the blowers were activated only when re-fuelling.

Is this how the boat was delivered new? or has the PO changed the wiring for some reasons?

I note that I have a lot of black soot stains in all the carpet joins & I guess this may be why.

When you say soot stains in the joints.....is it like dirt from air being pulled into the engine space from the interior?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author New Zealand
hargsnz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hargsnz » November 24th, 2017, 4:38 am

I've now solved the problem. On the 366 there are three different sets of switches that control the blowers. There is one on the 12v panel inside. On the bridge dashboard there are also two switches one for each engine. But also in the small side cabinet up on the bridge, there are 2 sliding doors & 3 banks of 12v switches. This means that the middle bank is always partly covered by one of the doors. In that bank ( virtually at floor level ) there are another set of 2 switches for the blowers. These are the 'master switches' which if 'on' will run the blowers even if the more visible switches on the dash console are switched off. Effectively these switches are the only ones that run the blowers. Quite strange. Anyway all good now thanks.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 25th, 2017, 7:39 pm

I would think the blowers are to run when the engines are running to keep the somewhat under control in the engine compartment.

Topic author New Zealand
hargsnz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby hargsnz » November 28th, 2017, 5:55 pm

No, the blowers have 2 separate sets of switches. Each of the 4 blowers has a separate switch in the small cabinet to the side of the bridge area. This is set at floor level & to see the names of the switches involves kneeling down & moving the sliding doors across & back to see the middle set. There are also 2 switches on the dashboard console, one for each pair of blowers on each engine. It seems that some of the switches on the dashboard need a corresponding switch inside the cupboard to be on ( eg riding light ) before they will work, while others ( eg the blowers ) will switch electrics on & off independently of whether the switch on the dash is on or not. As a new owner it's really a case of sitting on the floor and working out of the 15 or so switches in there, exactly what needs to be on or not & what works only in tandem.

On the 366 I do have plenty of ventilation in the engine bay, no need to run blowers ( 2 of the 4 suck air out anyway ).

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”