Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine room paint

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Mystic144
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Engine room paint

Postby Mystic144 » December 7th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Does anyone know what brand and maybe number of the gray engine room paint on my 1999 445 Carver ?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Engine room paint

Postby Viper » December 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Are you talking about fiberglass surfaces such as the hull, stringers, etc. or wood surfaces? Fiberglass surfaces should be gel coat from factory not paint.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 8th, 2017, 9:29 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Are you talking about fiberglass surfaces such as the hull, stringers, etc. or wood surfaces? Fiberglass surfaces should be gel coat from factory not paint.

Is that always the case, or just for later years? My 83 looks like they used something like Interlux Bilge Coat grey paint over unfinished fiberglass. There's some overspray were it hit the acoustic insulation. Seems like there were two "Bilge Coat" paints available... one a lighter grey than the other. Not sure what later boats used.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 8th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Normal practice is to use gel as it will mechanically bond to the glass much better than and outlast paint. It's much more expensive but will likely last the life of the vessel. I've seen paint in older vintages of some brands though, but I thought that practice was obsolete. Never really paid attention to when this transition period was but I'm used to seeing gel after the 70s.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”