Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

E80 Chart Plotter

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
kahopper
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 41' Motor Yacht

E80 Chart Plotter

Postby kahopper » September 15th, 2023, 1:23 pm

I have a 2007 41 CMY with an E80 Chart Plotter. When I purchased the boat last September the compact flash slot was empty. I was able to get a 2GB compact flash card but it doesn't want to fully seat. Data is available from Navionics if the card would work. Any recommendations?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: E80 Chart Plotter

Postby km1125 » September 15th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Did you check the pins at the bottom? Some end up getting bent, so you should be careful inserting stuff there and make sure no debris gets in while you're changing cards.

I have a couple older CF cards if you're interested. Not 100% which areas they cover right now, but I can dig them out and see if there is any interest.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 15th, 2023, 3:06 pm

My understanding is that to get Navionics updates for CF cards, you need to have an old Navionics CF card with a chart on it already, doesn't matter the area. This will allow you to get their updates kit for CF cards and select the areas you want. You continue using the new card, just use the old card to get you started/confirm you already had a Navionics chart. Old cards won't take the new data format, you'll only use the old card for confirmation during the install process of the new card.

Navionics has discontinued supporting the CF card format and once these upgrade kits are gone, the program will end and that's it, you're stuck with the last chart/area you loaded. Is there a hack for loading charts on any blank CF card? maybe if you could get around the encryption. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done that. You can confirm yourself but as far as I know, and has been confirmed by Navionics, there is no other way to populate charts on any other CF cards except the one in the kit. Here is the link to the CF upgrade kit...
https://www.navionics.com/usa/updates-downloadable.html

Anyone with Ray C/E Series, CF card units should look into upgrading or downloading the latest data before it's no longer available.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 15th, 2023, 3:28 pm

There's also an issue with the older electronics not being able to handle the larger capacity cards. Somewhere I ran across a chart that showed what the limits were. I have an older RC435 that won't take the 2GB cards, for example.

kahopper
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kahopper » September 16th, 2023, 9:44 am

[quote="km1125"]Source of the post Did you check the pins at the bottom? Some end up getting bent, so you should be careful inserting stuff there and make sure no debris gets in while you're changing cards.

I have a couple older CF cards if you're interested. Not 100% which areas they cover right now, but I can dig them out and see if there is any interest.

Thank you very much. I've used a flashlight and the pins appear to be in good shape. I'll look again. I'd be happy to pay you for an old card.

kahopper
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kahopper » September 16th, 2023, 9:46 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post My understanding is that to get Navionics updates for CF cards, you need to have an old Navionics CF card with a chart on it already, doesn't matter the area. This will allow you to get their updates kit for CF cards and select the areas you want. You continue using the new card, just use the old card to get you started/confirm you already had a Navionics chart. Old cards won't take the new data format, you'll only use the old card for confirmation during the install process of the new card.

Navionics has discontinued supporting the CF card format and once these upgrade kits are gone, the program will end and that's it, you're stuck with the last chart/area you loaded. Is there a hack for loading charts on any blank CF card? maybe if you could get around the encryption. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done that. You can confirm yourself but as far as I know, and has been confirmed by Navionics, there is no other way to populate charts on any other CF cards except the one in the kit. Here is the link to the CF upgrade kit...
https://www.navionics.com/usa/updates-downloadable.html

Anyone with Ray C/E Series, CF card units should look into upgrading or downloading the latest data before it's no longer available.

Thank you for the link! That is the direction I'll go if I can get a working card.

kahopper
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kahopper » September 16th, 2023, 9:47 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Did you check the pins at the bottom? Some end up getting bent, so you should be careful inserting stuff there and make sure no debris gets in while you're changing cards.

Thank you very much. I've used a flashlight and the pins appear to be in good shape. I'll look again. I'd be happy to pay you for an old card.

kahopper
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kahopper » September 16th, 2023, 9:50 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post There's also an issue with the older electronics not being able to handle the larger capacity cards. Somewhere I ran across a chart that showed what the limits were. I have an older RC435 that won't take the 2GB cards, for example.

Thanks for the tip!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 16th, 2023, 11:39 am

The the card you get with the update kit from Navionics is a 2GB card which is fine for an E Series unit

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”