Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2004 444 - help identifying this starboard tank

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
SFBayJustin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 444 "Waypoint"

2004 444 - help identifying this starboard tank

Postby SFBayJustin » September 20th, 2023, 2:14 am

Hi folks,

New 444 owner here - with an embarrassing question :-P

I've gone through all the documentation I can find, but still can't identify the pictured tank.

The opposite port tank is obviously fresh water, and I see the forward holding tank closer to the keel. The boat is not equipped with a gray water system. Is this somehow also fresh water?

Any insight much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 2004 444 - help identifying this starboard tank

Postby Viper » September 20th, 2023, 6:48 am

Welcome aboard.

I see a vacuum generator behind it so I'm wondering if it's a second holding tank. Several models had 2 tanks. Check and see if you have 2 deck fittings for pump outs. Hopefully someone with the same model/year can confirm.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2023, 8:10 am

How big is the port potable water tank? That model should have around 90 gallons. If that port tank is closer to 45, then I'd bet you're looking at the other 45. If the port is closer to 90 then this one is probably something else.

Also, if you can get a camera around it to see the hoses coming in or out, that would give some clues too!

ALSO, not really related to your question, but I'm curious what that switch is for in the pic below. Looks like it connects to the motor in the left of the pic?

Carver_Switch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 20th, 2023, 8:16 am

Welcome to the forum......have a look and see if both tanks are connected to each other....some of those boats had
two connecting fresh water tanks.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

SFBayJustin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SFBayJustin » September 20th, 2023, 4:51 pm

Thanks! Now that you mention it, the port tank can't be a full 90, and seems closer to 45. I'll make note of the visual level as the fresh water is depleted and/or try to sight some fresh water connections.

@km1125 - that's the overboard waste pump switch for the forward holding tank. I'm replacing all the aft sanitation hoses next week, removing the aft overboard pump, and capping the through hull. I'll do the same for the forward system at some point, too (no intention of using the overboard discharge).

SFBayJustin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SFBayJustin » October 2nd, 2023, 1:36 pm

Following up on this: definitely a water tank. One interesting note about the system: I watched closely as it filled, and because the port and starboard tanks are different sizes/shapes/orientations/elevations, the port tank fills first, with ~2" remaining on the starboard tank. At that point, the gauge reads ~7/8ths full. I stopped filling at that point, but I am curious what would happen to the port vent line if I continued the extra 2" (perhaps it would simply fill 2" and leave some water standing in that vent line). Thanks all for the help!

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » October 3rd, 2023, 10:09 pm

Hello,

I have same boat, definitely water tank. The other tank is on port side running port to stand in front of the port engine. There’s a pipe at bottom of the tanks connecting them together. You can fill to full, each tank has its own vent. I believe the tanks are at same elevation…

Ask away, know every corner of that boat…. Carver did a nice job of access panels everywhere, very well thought out…

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » October 3rd, 2023, 10:17 pm

SFBayJustin wrote:Source of the post Thanks! Now that you mention it, the port tank can't be a full 90, and seems closer to 45. I'll make note of the visual level as the fresh water is depleted and/or try to sight some fresh water connections.

@km1125 - that's the overboard waste pump switch for the forward holding tank. I'm replacing all the aft sanitation hoses next week, removing the aft overboard pump, and capping the through hull. I'll do the same for the forward system at some point, too (no intention of using the overboard discharge).

I went through the hose replacement but could never get smell out until I had a new tank made from Ronco plastics, removed that tank saver valve (will always leak gasses no matter what you do). I also removed the vent filter and on the new tank moved the vent port to the front (towards bow) of the tank because when that tank is 3/4 full or maybe less and you go on plane you’ll fill the vent line with waste water the way it is today…

I have zero smell now and use Noflex digestor and it’s been a few years. Prior to that I fought it for many years.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”