Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

carver

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Coolant Loss Mystery

Postby Viper » July 31st, 2017, 10:15 pm

Do a pressure test. What are these, Mercs? Are they closed cooled exhaust manifolds or raw water cooled?

BTW, tranny coolers is raw water cooled, no coolant present.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » August 1st, 2017, 3:19 pm

+1 = Perhaps the "best" place for there to be a problem would be the block-off plates between the manifold and riser. This would be the easiest fix. A pressure test would tell you.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » August 1st, 2017, 3:19 pm

+1 - Perhaps the "best" place for there to be a problem would be the block-off plates between the manifold and riser. This would be the easiest fix. A pressure test would tell you though

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » August 23rd, 2017, 3:32 pm

Here's a link to a manual that has coolant flow diagrams. I believe it should be for your application. HTH
www.crusaderengines.com/wp-content/uplo ... 001-09.pdf

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 23rd, 2017, 8:03 pm

I have a 2005 Mariner with 6.0 Crusaders. The boat is new to me and I am learning.
I 'thought' that I was losing coolant as well. I would fill up the reservoir and cruise around at 3200RPM for a couple of hours. There is a noticeable amount of 'steam' coming out of the exhaust at cruise speed.
The next day I would check the reservoir and it would seem empty. I would proceed to fill. I am thinking that the coolant is leaking somewhere and burning off. Same symptoms and possible remedies as outlined by the folks on this string.
I was ready to do a pressure test.
Then I noticed that the coolant reservoir has 3 'compartments' in them. (this is my first experience with this style reservoir...my previous boat was 1989 carb stye engines).
The 'aft' compartment has the flow line leading down to the engine. The 'forward' compartment has the overflow line.
I realized that I would keep filling all the compartments viewing the coolant through the translucent tank. I would stop filling when it was completely dark with fluid.
I then realized that the aft compartment already had coolant. I was simply overfilling each time and it was exiting out the forward overflow line. Simple answer for my inexperience with the engines.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 23rd, 2017, 8:40 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post .....what does engine coolant loss have to do with my transmissions. they aren't part of the same system are they?...

Nothing to do with transmissions, no coolant through the cooler, not part of the closed cooling system.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 21st, 2017, 11:29 am

Doesn't tell you much. Could be a cracked heat exchanger, a problem with a manifold or even a head gasket issue.

Unless you diengage the raw water pump, you don't want to run the engine very long out of the water. If you disengage the raw water pump, you don't want to run it too long or your exhaust is going to get way too hot. If you are feeding it with cooling water, then you're not going to notice much difference coming out the exhaust.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 21st, 2017, 1:05 pm

I think you need to just get the engine/ exchanger pressure tested properly to tell you anything definite.....you would have to run the engine on a hose for a while for it to heat up enough to create any pressure in the engine coolant.....or just remove the exchanger and take to a rad shop to be tested and or repaired, much easier in my opinion, if you suspect the exchanger only.To test the entire cooling system ,it has to be together....perhaps with the pressure on and it shows a leak somewhere, just remove the raw water hoses from the exchanger and see what comes out.....its a start.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 21st, 2017, 7:37 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post...if I top up the coolant, run the engine and can see coolant coming out of the exhaust, does that tell me if this issue is from a cracked heat exchanger or ??

It can but as mentioned above, it could be from other sources as well so all it will do is confirm that you're losing coolant out the exhaust which you already know or it would be in your bilge or oil pan. You'd likely also need to run it for a while as mentioned which I wouldn't want to do for very long nor would I need to since doing a simple test by pressurizing the system in place would likely reveal the source of the leak. Get them to do it when it's on land, it affords a couple of more options for leak detection that you can't see while in the water such as out the exhaust port or dripless shaft logs without the engine running.

Make sure you test the coolant in your block come winterizing time! Don't add coolant after haul out then simply test the coolant at winterizing time in your heat exchanger, all you'd be doing is testing the coolant you just poured in the exchanger.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 1st, 2018, 2:45 pm

Thanks for posting the resolution, so many don't .....it will be a big help to someone with the same sort of issues....... :-D .. :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”