Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cant shift gear for starboard side

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Cant shift gear for starboard side

Postby cpoint » September 17th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Hi all, I have a new problem popped up last week. Starboard side gear was stuck in neutral. Could not shift forward or reverse. After playing with it a bit, it started working fine. This week I tried while engine was off and could not shift. Port side is fine it clicks up, center and down without a problem. Starboard won't. At this point I am not sure it is the cable gone bad or where it is hooked up to on the engine side. Any ideas or input from anyone, next step I should do. I do not know much about mechanics of engine, so if you suggest something would appreciate it if you could be clear where on the engine I would check. Most likely I will have mechanic over, but if I can figure out hopefully I can save some money :) Until last week there were no problems. Last week it was a brief problem. this week I did not want to force it too much and end up with a bigger problem. This is on a carver 356 aft by the way with gas mercur engines.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cant shift gear for starboard side

Postby Viper » September 17th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Check to see if there is oil in the tranny. You should see a dipstick on the top right area of the tranny. On the side of the tranny, you'll see where the shift cable hooks up. Remove the cable and try to move the lever by hand. It should move. If it doesn't, you'll likely need to have the unit removed for assessment and repairs.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 18th, 2017, 12:08 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Check to see if there is oil in the tranny. You should see a dipstick on the top right area of the tranny. On the side of the tranny, you'll see where the shift cable hooks up. Remove the cable and try to move the lever by hand. It should move. If it doesn't, you'll likely need to have the unit removed for assessment and repairs.

Viper Thanks, will check

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 18th, 2017, 6:44 am

Note the colour of the oil and whether it smells burnt.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 18th, 2017, 9:30 am

Thanks I will when I get back to the boat in few days. I am hoping it is easy to get to, most likely it is not. I left the manuals on the boat, so I can't tell where it is looking online.

United States of America
Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 370 Voyager

Postby Dewmyster » September 18th, 2017, 10:08 am

Check out my saga under Gas Engines/Transmissions.......not a happy ending.
:usa:

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 18th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Dewmyster wrote:Source of the post Check out my saga under Gas Engines/Transmissions.......not a happy ending.

Trust me my saga is not good to start with, so nothing surprises me at this point, still working on the original issues since last year. But I am hoping this is just a cable issue or something, not that it will cheap I am sure even if it is the simplest thing :(

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 25th, 2017, 11:14 am

Now I am screwed, I am told it is not a cable issue. Transmission apparently is the issue. It was fine, it just went in one week. Could it be something before the transmission? I thought there was some unit that cable went into or controlled. Could that be the issue? Anyone have any ideas? The mechanic said they will remove send it out to a transmission place. I do not have any estimates, but not looking good is all I can say what it will cost at end of day if it is a transmission issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 25th, 2017, 11:21 am

Is the (2) shown on picture transmission or some intermediate box that cable controls, which controls transmission? (1) cable is working fine, (2) does not budge. Kinda frozen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » September 25th, 2017, 11:37 am

viper, sorry I just re-read posting from earlier response. So you were saying if the cable is moving, which it is, its good. But the (2) in above picture is not moving means transmission issue? Also transmission fluid seemed to be fine.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”