Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Garbage Disposal?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Garbage Disposal?

Postby amanphoto » November 3rd, 2017, 6:21 pm

Has anyone put a Garbage Disposal in their boat? We cook a lot and would like to be able to grind up some organic stuff to feed to the fishes. The sink looks like there is a spot that can be cut out. Any ideas?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Garbage Disposal?

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2017, 6:48 pm

I believe that the only way, would be if your sink goes to a grey water holding tank.......double check the regs for this, I could be wrong.......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 3rd, 2017, 8:27 pm

Please think about your marina neighbors. floating grease and food scraps sticking to my hull sides along with the smell would tick me off.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

Please read the "illegal to dump" sticker that should be on your boat. I believe you will see food is listed as illegal within 3 mile of shore.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 4th, 2017, 9:00 am

Hmmm, almost all North American boats do not have a grey water tank nor do they require one. That being said, our sinks drain straight overboard and yes this includes smaller quantities of scrap food, bacon fat, olive oil, butter and whatever other smaller remnants that may be on your plate.

That being said I do not agree that one should purposely install a device to be able to put more overboard than what is normally capable of going down the sink drain.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 4th, 2017, 11:15 am

Regardless of whether it's legal in your area or an inconsiderate thing to do, electrically it's a basic hook up. What you may find is that it will lower your drainage point. You may need to lower the discharge thru-hull which could present a siphoning concern in rough seas. If you decide instead to loop it up to the existing hull discharge that is higher than the discharge of the unit, you'll always have standing water in the drain which is definitely not desirable. You must take some measurements to determine if the install will affect the current drainage configuration before you commit.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » November 5th, 2017, 6:29 am

Our boat is in a sespool called the bay. It is nasty and you can't see two inches down in to it. Anything that would go down the drain is fishfood. Corn, bits of pasta, rice - small partials that stick to the plate. Anything large obviously would be thrown out.

The through hall is far enough down to accommodate the device. The exit on the garage disposal is the same size as the through hull.

I was just curious about it. With all the live aboard boaters, I was just wondering how they managed certain things.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”