Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Propeller shaft rotation drag?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Re: Propeller shaft rotation drag?

Postby SanJuanDreamer » February 7th, 2018, 1:46 pm

For what its worth...I have 98 Mariner with 1500hrs.
While mine is on the hard...for weeks sometimes, I can place a towel on a blade and turn it by hand, the cutlass bearing will squeal, its not free spinning but seems easy enough. Both shafts take the same amount of pressure to turn and I have dripless.

Seems to me, if the shaft is disconnected from the drive, it should spin easily, if not, then maybe look at the cutlass bearing and shaft tube.
Just my two cents...I may deserve change... :down:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 7th, 2018, 7:03 pm

You should be able to turn the shafts by hand. A little bit of resistance is not uncommon but you should not have to heave on it especially when uncoupled from the tranny flange. Check the condition of the strut bearings and whether the shafts are centered in them and not pinching one side. Also ensure the shafts are centered in the tube on the outside of the hull where they enter. A melted seal in a dripless log or a warped log housing will cause the shaft to bind but I would also expect to see a leak at the log under these conditions. Depending on the condition and location, a bent shaft can also cause your symptom.

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post..... I checked the alignment and it is with in tolerances.....

How did you do this and what tolerance are you using?

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » February 17th, 2018, 10:39 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post This is the lip seal? I have not messed with this at all. Now that the boat is out of the water, I can look at it. Little bit of water that collects in the bilge under the seal. The seals do not leak.

I don’t think that is the issue. It is a Tides Marine shaft seal. Forward, it has a bearing that the shaft spins through. There is water in the rubber baffle. It could be something caught between the shaft and the seal , but if that is the case it would probably leak. Sometimes trash gets caught up in the baffle and that could be the source of something caught between the shaft and where it leave s the boat. You may be able to burp any remaining water out by compressing the rubber baffle. Since it is out of the water, it is fairly simple to disconnect and check out.

I would strongly urge you to read the literature on it first though. If you make a mistake with it you can create a leak. It is important to order new set screws and not reuse the old. You may want to consider replacing if the unit is over six years old.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » March 5th, 2018, 7:19 pm

After further research, I've determined that the cutlass bearings are bad. The boat is out of the water on the hard so I was able to spray some oil down into the bearings. The shafts spoon with a lot more ease - even more then in the water. The bearings are original to the boat and are showing some dry rotting and cracking. It's a simple repair, so I'm going to slide the old ones out and new ones in. I will post more pics when the job is done.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 5th, 2018, 7:33 pm

That will be good to see what method you use.......regarding my earlier question about the anodes, don't forget that in fresh water to use magnesium anodes......there were what looked like small corrosion spots on the prop and the anode on the shaft looked like it is zinc....hard to say from the pic , that is why I asked.....good luck with it man..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:12 am

Update: Removed Propeller with standard auto parts store puller($40). Worked like a charm. I like it better then your standard scissor style puller ($300) because the puller has more surface area on propeller and less marring of surface. The auto puller worked because I have 4 blades and symmetrical space on both sides of the propeller to attach. I also have a scissor style puller for other projects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:21 am

Update: Removed P-Brackets from boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:25 am

Update: Tried to cut out old Cutlass Bearing. Did not work!
IMG_5579.jpg

Got aggravated and took it to a friends 10 ton press.
IMG_5603.jpg

They are out!
IMG_5608.jpg

Need clean and press in new bearings.
IMG_5610.jpg

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:31 am

Side note:
Since the propellers are off. This is a good time to give them a polish and send check them for true.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 15th, 2018, 9:36 am

See, you are the go to guy for this now......reminds me of the lower control arm torsion bar bushing on mopars,just like those pics some easy , some not so much..thanks for the pics.....good job man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”