Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bow thruster oil change

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Bow thruster oil change

Postby pepmyster » September 19th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Took today for maintenance. After the engines and genny, headed to bow thruster. As predicted, oil was very clean with no signs of water . I had my suction tool so replaced the oil anyway since I was there. Inspected the drive belt also, all excellent! Peace of mind if anything.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Bow thruster oil change

Postby Hugo » October 3rd, 2023, 10:26 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post I question changing gear oil every 2 years as they mention. There are really no possible contaminants since it is basically a sealed system. They do mention their newer models do not have a reservoir bottle and therefor are sealed for life requiring no oil changes.

Personally I think it is a good idea to have a bottle to be able to see if the fluid gets discolored which could be the telltale of an issue or milky which would indicate water intrusion.

Both my thrusters have never had an oil change yet, oil in the bottles looks like new. The gears rotate for what? Maybe 5-10 minutes a year and that would be a generous figure. Inspecting the motor part reveals no motor brush dust which indicates very light usage. You be the judge of what you think is required. ;-)

You will not see the milky water in the bottle above the gearbox. Outdrive runs a lot and oil is heavily mixed, not the same in a thruster that gets intermittent use. I’ve had a volvo Ql thruster for over a decade and have had the replace seals in the gearbox twice and bearings once. If you don’t catch it you will loose the gearbox. Not an option for me as they are no longer made and you have a big problem. If I were you I’d take the oil drain plug out of the gearbox every time you haul. Mine use SAE 30.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”