Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Conditioning bronze parts

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Dad Joke
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: None yet

Conditioning bronze parts

Postby Dad Joke » February 19th, 2024, 10:25 am

. . . or something like that. I'm replacing my rudder ports. I need to ensure that the packing nut and jam nut do
not seize to each other and to the port, becoming one big useless lump, as they had previously. Should I apply
dielectric grease to the threads and contact surfaces between the nuts? Anti-seize? Basic bearing grease?
Also, I plan to slack the locking nut and re-grease periodically going forward. How often? Monthly? Annually?
Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Conditioning bronze parts

Postby km1125 » February 19th, 2024, 11:03 am

Dielectric grease is NOT what you want. I would not use anti-seize unless you know it's compatible, as most are metal-based. A VERY LIGHT coating of some basic axle grease would probably be fine. I would think "multiple years" as an answer to the 'how often' question. I would certainly not expect to do this monthly or annually, unless you are in a severe corrosive environment.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 19th, 2024, 2:02 pm

While you are at this, maybe consider making sure your bonding system is all connected and working as it should. Some of the issues you may have encountered could have been made worse by a compromised bonding system.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 19th, 2024, 4:40 pm

Topic author United States of America
Dad Joke
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: None yet

Postby Dad Joke » February 23rd, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thanks. Good input from all.

Yes, I'm making certain that everything that should be bonded is bonded. Even though the boat has some years on it, it has relatively low hours and is pretty much unmolested from original.

Very interesting on the Tef-Gel. I'd never heard of this product, but the reviews are outstanding, so I'm going to give it a try.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”