Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine trouble on a 330 Mariner

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

Re: Engine trouble on a 330 Mariner

Postby mwest74 » December 15th, 2017, 9:52 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Mw, do you have the v drive/ trans combo that are attached to the engines, or are they the remote v drives with a shaft between the trans and the v drive itself.??If they are the shared sump combo ones that could account for the higher rebuild cost....one side would have gears and the other has a chain and gears, can't remember which.......maybe chain on port side, still got clutches though.

I've been trying to remember. I'm looking at some pictures from the survey and they look like remote v drives to me.

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » March 19th, 2018, 9:37 pm

If anyone is still following this post, I thought I would post an update. The B.O.A.T (Break Out Another Ten thousand) is still under repair in Long Beach Island in NJ. Here is a basic breakdown. Port xmsn: done , Need a new one, $10k, Port rudder and shaft, bent and straightend, $500, Port eng. removed and repainted, who cares about the cost, New oil cooler port side $235, Starboard engine: low compression on one of cylinders, $1500,new exhaust risers port side, forgot the cost, labor for all this, $7k, slip for the year $3700. If you're keeping track at home, my $30k "good deal" of a boat has now cost over $50k. The upside, no additional labor for removing and replacing things on the port side. With any luck the coming nor'easter will wash it out to sea, it will get run over by a container ship and King Neptune will exact revenge for me. :censored:
All joking aside, the one take away here is, get the best boat you can afford. If I would've just opted for the better boat I might not have as many headaches as I do now. :banghead:
Oh, by the way, anyone interested in buying a 19995 Carver 330 mariner for around $40k. Port side transmission and exhaust recently replaced!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 19th, 2018, 10:10 pm

mwest74 wrote:Source of the post All joking aside, the one take away here is, get the best boat you can afford. If I would've just opted for the better boat I might not have as many headaches as I do now.

Unfortunately that is not always the case IMO, sometimes it just comes down to bad luck....but look at it this way, now it will be fixed and you can look forward to using the boat how you wanted.Anyway thanks for the update...ouch is just about all I can add.Did you hit something to cause this, if so would insurance not kick in ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 19th, 2018, 10:17 pm

So sorry to hear about the major costs of repairs. On the bright side, it looks like you have addressed the major components and should be good to go!

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » March 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
mwest74 wrote:Source of the post All joking aside, the one take away here is, get the best boat you can afford. If I would've just opted for the better boat I might not have as many headaches as I do now.

Unfortunately that is not always the case IMO, sometimes it just comes down to bad luck....but look at it this way, now it will be fixed and you can look forward to using the boat how you wanted.Anyway thanks for the update...ouch is just about all I can add.Did you hit something to cause this, if so would insurance not kick in ?

Insurance is waiting on the estimate from the shop. We were told they do not cover mechanical break downs. But, they will cover damage caused by a break down, like running aground and bending your shaft and rudder as a result of a seized transmission. C'est la vie!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”