Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Removal of STBD Transmission

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
vgcapano
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Mariner 32
Twin 350 Mercruiser 5.7L Motors

2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
1994 Sea Ray Sea Raider (sold)

Removal of STBD Transmission

Postby vgcapano » March 25th, 2021, 7:36 am

Gents,

After my STBD transmission quit working early last year due to the packing within failing, the time has come to repair. After having a technician come out and look at it, he said that the only way to service it was to remove the motor as there is no room to pull the transmission out. I mentioned to him that if I made an access hatch in the inside of my cabin, can he do it that way. He replied that he can. My question for you is has anyone made an access hatch in the inside of their cabin to service the transmission? Is it just fiberglass in that area or plywood as well. Looking at it from the engine compartment, there is a bunch of green insulation there. Any helpful information you can provide will be great. BTW is a 1989 Carver Mariner 32 with twin Mercruiser 350’s with borg Warner v drives.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Removal of STBD Transmission

Postby RGrew176 » March 25th, 2021, 10:19 am

When I had my transmission port side rebuilt a few years ago it was easier for the mechanic to pull engine and transmission together to work on it. His words, easier so that is what he did.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 25th, 2021, 11:25 am

I would think that in that area it would be a structural bulkhead with a wooden core. Personally I wouldn't cut into it unless you're then planning on having it properly repaired/glassed. If nothing else, it may be a red flag the next time it gets surveyed for a sale. Better off removing the engine IMO. That will also afford you the ability get in there and clean the bilge in areas you may otherwise not be able to reach with the engine in the way, and inspect hardware on the engine that would be difficult to get to when the engine is in the hull. If the shop is set up properly to do this type of work, it really shouldn't take them that long to re and re the whole assembly. Removing the just the transmission would be less labour intensive though as long as access is good after you open up the bulkhead.

Topic author United States of America
vgcapano
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Mariner 32
Twin 350 Mercruiser 5.7L Motors

2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
1994 Sea Ray Sea Raider (sold)

Postby vgcapano » March 28th, 2021, 9:27 pm

I appreciate your input. I did a little more homework and found that the lower portion of the bulkhead was just 1/4 fiberglass and hollow. Not load bearing in this area. The upper portion which holds the frame for my sliding glass door is fiberglass and wood. I decided to go through with it. I drilled a few holes for my jigsaw and removed a 22x22 square. It came out neat and the insulation in the back did as well. Looks like I’ll be saving about $4000 not having to remove the whole engine to service and rebuild the transmission. I’ll teak trim the box so it looks like it was ment to be there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”