Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sooo im a complete DUMBA$$

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Sooo im a complete DUMBA$$

Postby ataylor233 » July 20th, 2022, 5:20 pm

ok so my crusader 270 needed a carb rebuild so I puled the carb rebuilt it went to reinstall it realized there was a washer missing ….. so I pulled the carb took my scope camera and went through the intake and said well I don't see it .. installed the Carb. went to start it and it starts instant clanking noise so i turned it off ... now I ask what are the chances that things aren't that bad when I pull everything apart? smh

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Sooo im a complete DUMBA$$

Postby bud37 » July 20th, 2022, 5:35 pm

You are not the first believe me..... :-O

Use your scope and go thru the spark plug holes and find the damaged cylinder.......hopefully the washer just slipped by the intake valve and put a couple dents in the piston........you will have to pull the head to check the valve for damage though IMO. You may be able to pull the washer out with a magnet if smaller than the plug hole and it is not stainless.

Still a chance although really really slim....good luck man...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » July 20th, 2022, 5:38 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Use your scope and go thru the spark plug holes and find the damaged cylinder.......hopefully the washer just slipped by the intake valve and put a couple dents in the piston........you will have to pull the head to check the valve for damage though IMO. You may be able to pull the washer out with a magnet if smaller than the plug hole and it is not stainless.

Still a chance although really really slim....good luck man...

thanks that was my next move i had to walk away ... if i drank i would be drunk right now

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 20th, 2022, 6:12 pm

not to worry: it's all mechanics so take it apart and put it together again. It takes more time than you thought it would but prepare, get the information, get the parts, gaskets, O-rings, washers.. = the more the better and do what needs to be done.

You'll be surprised to see (afterwards) that the mountain of worries and expectations about the job at hand turns out to be a much smaller hill afterwards.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm

Do you know what size the washer was? Is there any chance that it could come out through the spark plug hole?

What did it actually sound like? Is it possible it just got stuck in an intake valve and you're hearing the loose lifter/rocker noise? (that would be better, as it wouldn't have entered the cylinder yet!)

Popping a head off probably wouldn't really be that big of a deal if you didn't have to deal with that damn exhaust!!! :)

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » July 21st, 2022, 12:03 am

well i was limited with time today i managed to scope the cylinder there is damage on the piston surface damage the valve i can see a few dents in the bottom tomorrow the head comes off ….Km1125 the manifolds aren't a big deal 4 bolts and i set it to the side … now i just have to get that head off and inspect even more … I'm praying don't have to pull the block that would be a deal breaker

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » July 21st, 2022, 12:04 am

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post not to worry: it's all mechanics so take it apart and put it together again. It takes more time than you thought it would but prepare, get the information, get the parts, gaskets, O-rings, washers.. = the more the better and do what needs to be done.

You'll be surprised to see (afterwards) that the mountain of worries and expectations about the job at hand turns out to be a much smaller hill afterwards.

yeah im always like that with projects once i get started i realize its not so bad lol

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 21st, 2022, 6:18 am

Just read this. Feeling your pain, being a tech in automobile, I've seen this type of thing many times. Take your time, you'll get through this for sure. We always expect the worst, luck be on your side.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 21st, 2022, 10:52 am

ataylor233 wrote:Source of the post well i was limited with time today i managed to scope the cylinder there is damage on the piston surface damage the valve i can see a few dents in the bottom tomorrow the head comes off ….Km1125 the manifolds aren't a big deal 4 bolts and i set it to the side … now i just have to get that head off and inspect even more … I'm praying don't have to pull the block that would be a deal breaker

If and when you get this open, before you close it up if not too much damage, round off all the dent damage on the piston and head so there are no sharp edges or raised burrs, they can create hot spots if left......good luck
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » July 21st, 2022, 11:59 am

Well here's what I found I thank God I stopped the engine when I did
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”