Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gas in Exhaust

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
hinzee623
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Re: Gas in Exhaust

Postby hinzee623 » September 12th, 2022, 11:33 am

UPDATE: So took a dive into the carb. It appears to be running really rich in of the tubes. A marina friend suggested starting with a rebuild of the carb. Its a Rochester QuadraJet. If anyone is familar with model numbers please let me know.
Its a merc454 340hp engine

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 12th, 2022, 11:38 am

Have a quick read, maybe something here for you as well....

https://www.carburetor-blog.com/knowled ... eshooting/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 12th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Quirky cold starts would also be a motivator to check the operation of the choke system.

Topic author United States of America
hinzee623
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby hinzee623 » September 12th, 2022, 1:41 pm

No ignition Tune up in my time (2 seasons). I did check the cap. Looks good. No corrosion.

Update: looks like its running really rich. It appears too much fuel is getting into the barrel. So going to do a carb rebuild tomorrow. Hopefully this will do the trick. Stay tuned.

Open to other theories as well. Appreciate the input thus far!

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » September 12th, 2022, 5:12 pm

hinzee623 wrote:Source of the post RobGunn - As a follow up question, prior to discovering this issue. Did you notice that particular engine was a little more difficult to start up cold? Like you have to give it a few pumps of the throttle for it to turn over?

For me, my port engine turns over relatively easy, however my starboard (the one in question) it always takes a few tries, and more or less i need to move the throttle as i am turning the key in order for it to catch. So I am now thinking, maybe my fuel pump has been on its way out (unbeknownst to me, until now). I will still test your theory.

I had no issue with stating the engine, just normal 2 pumps and set throttle to around 1/4 and hit the key.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 12th, 2022, 6:56 pm

If you are not mechanically inclined and know carbs, don't try to rebuild a QJet on your own. Most likely will end up worse than before you started.
Not a ping on you, but QJets are a bit finicky when setting fuel levels and such.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » September 13th, 2022, 8:45 am

hinzee623 wrote:Source of the post RobGunn - As a follow up question, prior to discovering this issue. Did you notice that particular engine was a little more difficult to start up cold? Like you have to give it a few pumps of the throttle for it to turn over?

For me, my port engine turns over relatively easy, however my starboard (the one in question) it always takes a few tries, and more or less i need to move the throttle as i am turning the key in order for it to catch. So I am now thinking, maybe my fuel pump has been on its way out (unbeknownst to me, until now). I will still test your theory.

Engines would start and run as normal before and after the issue.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » September 13th, 2022, 8:49 am

My engine that had the issue would start and run as normal, just had big time gas smell and then showed low oil pressure due to the oil dilution. The fuel pump was doing its job of sending fuel to the carb but was also sending fuel to the oil pan... :banghead:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”