Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta TAMD 74P EDC Long Delay in Engaging

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
Tennessee River Rat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 Aft Cabin 480 Volvo's
2007 Meridian 341 with 6.2 MPI Horizon Mercruiser Engines
1988 Sea Ray 340 with Twin 454's
1987 Stratos with 200 HP Merc

Re: Volvo Penta TAMD 74P EDC Long Delay in Engaging

Postby Tennessee River Rat » April 10th, 2017, 2:54 pm

That 2 second delay is bothersome at times. When we did our sea trial we had the lead mechanic from Plano Marine there on Lake Texoma, which is a large Volvo Marina. The fellow sat beside me during the entire sea trial and answered all my questions, quite a learning experience. I asked if there was any way he could adjust the 2 second delay out completely. He said no there was not. That Volvo had determined that this was the safest way to protect engines/transmissions. So the 1.5 seconds is it!

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Volvo Penta TAMD 74P EDC Long Delay in Engaging

Postby Lyndon670 » April 11th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Yes, and you will get used to it. I went from conventional controls on my Silverton 42C to the EDC controls. I was baffled to say the least and almost at panic levels the first time(s) I came into dock. But then you realize that it isn't so bad and that you use the mass of the boat more. The wind doesn't have as much effect because of the mass so things aren't as urgent as they seem - with proper planning.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”