Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SEI outdrives

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Paul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Montego 27 twin 4 cylinder mercurys with alpha one outdrives

SEI outdrives

Postby Paul » August 16th, 2016, 12:01 am

Hello all. I have purchased an 88 270 Montego dual cabin. We have been doing a lot of work on her are anxiously awaiting her first launch ( under new management). Unfortunately she has not been serviced properly for a good while it seems. I had requested new impellers, bellows kits and gimble bearings be installed by our boatyard. The service on the port side went smoothly and that unit is ready to install. The starboard unit is another matter. It is frozen up to the point it must be replaced. The Alpha one 1.84 gearing has been discontinued and the recommendation by the yard is to replace both units with 1.94 SEI drives. Price is very reasonable compared to rebuilt Alpha ones. Has anyone in the forum got any experience with these outdrives. I understand they are assembled in Florida using some components from south east Asia. ANY input would be appreciated.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: SEI outdrives

Postby mjk1040 » August 16th, 2016, 5:14 am

Paul, why not just look for a used unit for the starboard side. I am sure there must be one out there somewhere, since you have invested so much already in the port unit. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 16th, 2016, 8:28 am

Several years ago I replaced the gen 1 alphas on my Montego with the SEI drives (both upper and lower units), I had no issue for the remaining two years I owned the boat.
Last year a friend at our marina replaced his single gen 1 with and SEI drive. It failed after 12 hours and he followed the break in instructions and logged all time and rpm ( I did not follow the break in procedure). The replacement also failed the same season. The third drive is working well.

Good point is they sent replacements within about 3days for each failure, no problem. Bad news is lost time replacing the drives. I have heard both types of similar experience from others, failed drive but good replacement service.

I would make sure the marina will cover any labor warranty if they need to be replaced. I believe they carry a full two year replacement warranty.

Thanks
Tom

Topic author
Paul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Montego 27 twin 4 cylinder mercurys with alpha one outdrives

Postby Paul » August 16th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm squeamish about a used outdrive ( I already have two). SEI warranty is three years for any reason. Impact, run out of oil or you name it. Not completely sold on AM parts but you can't beat that warranty.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”