Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cat, Cum, or Vol ....

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Cat, Cum, or Vol ....

Postby PJHoffnet » September 9th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Researching our next new to us boat. Homing in on a Carver 404 cockpit.

Caterpillar, Cummings, or Volvo ... big pluses or minuses in any brand - any models to stay away from in a specific brand?

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: Cat, Cum, or Vol ....

Postby AaHubb » September 9th, 2016, 6:03 pm

My '99 404 has Cummins 5.9L engines. I've had this boat for seven years with out any engine problems. The injectors needed serviced when I bought the boat but since then it's been just regular yearly filter and fluid changes.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 9th, 2016, 9:00 pm

All good brands IMO. What year? On the Volvos, look for rear main seal leaks. If not leaking now, it's probably fine going forward.

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » September 14th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Thanks ... no specific year or model yet as we're still looking - was checking to see if there were any to avoid as we continue to shop

United States of America
Mystic144
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mystic144 » November 21st, 2016, 8:30 pm

AaHubb,
Hello
I am looking at buying a 406 Carver with Cummins 330 or 370's
What HP are yours and how many hours?
Also have you had any issues with the raw water pumps?
What RPM do you cruise at and at what speed.
All the best
Rene
Mystic CT

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » November 21st, 2016, 10:41 pm

Hi Mystic144.
My engines are the 210hp version with ~900 hours. I did have an issue with the raw water pumps when I tried to get one more season out of the impellers. One of the impellers disintegrated while under way causing that engine to overheat. I shut it down quickly so no damage was done but I had to limp into port on one engine. From now on I will change the impellers every three years. Most of the time I run the engines @ 1200 to 1400 RPM for a cruising speed of about 8 to 10 mph. I do run at high rpm occasionally to reduce carbon build up.
That 406 looks like a really comfortable boat with lots of room. best of luck.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 22nd, 2016, 5:48 am

CATS are useless. Have owned before and the maintenance on them are HIGH! IMHO Cummins are the first choice and Volvo second. Both great engines, although the Cummins B series need virtually no preventative maintenance like the CAT does.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 22nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

My money is on Cummings! Happy shopping! Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 22nd, 2016, 8:32 pm

This is the typical Ford vs Chev debate.

All of the engines are all great power plants. I don't think its fair at all to say that CATS are useless - companies building boats like Viking, Hatteras or any other semi-custom builders would not install CAT engines with issues in their multi million dollar boats. CATS dominate the construction industry so they do know how to make a good engine. There was an issue with CATS from the late 90's into the early 2000's (2003 I think was the end) where they were using castings made in France which had a very thin block wall which eventually cracked and took motors out. By all accounts, CAT completely honoured their problems and replaced all of the motors out regardless of age or ownership.

I am partial to my Volvos, but they are spendy on maintenance (filters, impellers etc). Also, because of the OBD ports on the ECM, you need to get a Volvo tech to service should a problem arise.

Cummins are a great option too, and also do well in the construction industry - they are also the only one that has really penetrated the automotive industry (Dodge/Jeep).

What ever you get, regular maintenance, proper props and operating it as it was designed for will have the boat outlast you.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 22nd, 2016, 9:38 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post This is the typical Ford vs Chev debate.

All of the engines are all great power plants. I don't think its fair at all to say that CATS are useless - companies building boats like Viking, Hatteras or any other semi-custom builders would not install CAT engines with issues in their multi million dollar boats. CATS dominate the construction industry so they do know how to make a good engine. There was an issue with CATS from the late 90's into the early 2000's (2003 I think was the end) where they were using castings made in France which had a very thin block wall which eventually cracked and took motors out. By all accounts, CAT completely honoured their problems and replaced all of the motors out regardless of age or ownership.

I am partial to my Volvos, but they are spendy on maintenance (filters, impellers etc). Also, because of the OBD ports on the ECM, you need to get a Volvo tech to service should a problem arise.

Cummins are a great option too, and also do well in the construction industry - they are also the only one that has really penetrated the automotive industry (Dodge/Jeep).

What ever you get, regular maintenance, proper props and operating it as it was designed for will have the boat outlast you.

++1
I for one don't have problems with Cats at all. Curious to know what all the extra maintenance is. I like Volvos but as Lyndon mentioned, they're computer controlled and when you need to know what's happening on a deeper level, you need to call a technician. They money makers if you're in the business, you can make a small fortune on just diagnostic tool hook-up and software changes/upgrades. There's something to be said about the simple mechanical diesel engines with no computers, not much to go wrong.

Another thing one should consider is the availability in your boating area to get parts and service. This will become very apparent the first time something breaks down and you try to get someone knowledgeable enough close by to do the repairs.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”