Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Survey result - question Cummins 370 Turbo Charger

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Survey result - question Cummins 370 Turbo Charger

Postby PJHoffnet » January 22nd, 2017, 3:01 pm

Had a survey and sea trial on a 2000 Carver 404 with twin Cummins 370s.

Boat is in really good shape cosmetically, mechanically and electrically wte of a lot of blistering below the water line (time and $ consuming, but nothing that points to a disaster).

The only real problem noted in the survey that I'm concerned about is the turbo chargers on both engines. Both showed excessive rust and corrosion during the pre-underway survey, and during sea trials we couldn't bring the engines above 1800 RPM, so the turbo chargers never kicked in. The surveyor and I figured the turbos were frozen shut and passed that info on to the seller as a 'must fix' followed by a re-survey.

Seller's broker came back after having her engine guy look at it and said turbos are not frozen, but (and forgive the wording here, I didn't take the call and am working off the notes my wife took and her recollection of the conversation) that the pitch of the props are wrong and that's why the turbos never got a chance to kick in. They said they'd haul out, 'fix the pitch', (I can only assume they mean change props) and be ready for re-survey soon.

Ok, now we're not talking about a destroyer with veritable pitch propellers here, and I suppose it could be as simple as changing to a correctly pitched propeller for the engine.

Stbd and port turbos

Prop, probably doesn't help, but only one I had

Thoughts? - Thanks in advance

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Survey result - question Cummins 370 Turbo Charger

Postby Midnightsun » January 22nd, 2017, 4:55 pm

My question is how in the world did the props get so over pitched that 1800 rpm was the max? Unless they somehow put on the wrong props, I cannot see this as being the problem. Maybe barnacles and bottom growth but not wrong pitch. Just make sure they do not re-pitch to accommodate the low rpm in a shady fashion. Someone here will chime in as the what to expect at WOT when it comes to speed and rpm with those Cummins diesels and go from there. Something is not quite right here.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » January 22nd, 2017, 9:53 pm

Bottom was clean, so that can be ruled out.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 22nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

I am sure many people on this forum have much more diesel experience than I, and I am sure they will offer some opinions, but if the turbos were not spinning at all, the boat would have been smoking like an 1800's locomotive at any rpm.

Best of luck.
Tom

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 23rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

Might be a good idea would be to hire a diesel mech. and have him do an engine survey if its not too late as those things are very expensive to repair even if you can find a good competent mechanic........now a friend had a boat with over propped diesels, boat would not go on step....lots of noise and much black smoke from the fuel it couldn't burn, that was the giveaway. It ran fine otherwise and at 1100 rpm he was doing 7 knots that was with 1.5 gears. Just a little bit of anecdotal stuff from me......check your low speed against rpm, that should give you an idea....most any good prop shops will be able to assist with that info........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 23rd, 2017, 5:18 pm

What Bud said about a mechanic.
I'd rather pay a mechanic a few hundred dollars now than a few thousand after you close and find out both turbos are locked up
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » January 23rd, 2017, 10:43 pm

Seller already has a haul out and re-prop'ing scheduled to be followed by a follow on survey with my original surveyor and his engine guy.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » January 24th, 2017, 5:04 pm

PJ, re-pitch and re-prop are not the same. Re-pitch means they will change the pitch of the props that are on the boat now. I too question this. Props are stamped with the diameter and pitch on them when they are made. If they were taken to a prop shop for minor repair they should have been returned close to new. Has this boat been sitting a lot? If so I would lean more toward bad fuel or restricted air flow. Now I have to tell you that Carver would change the pitch of some props to keep an engine from over rotating beyond the recommended specs. I hope his engine guy is a cummings man. Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy her this season. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 24th, 2017, 6:43 pm

I also would be very leery of needing a reprop. Or even a repitch. 1800 rpm seems way way low, not just slightly. I think this engine is rated at 2800 rpm? This is not a prop problem if 2800 is in fact the sweet spot.

If those props are stamped with the correct pitch/diameter, the same as Carver put on originally, I'd be thinking a much bigger mechanical issue is at hand.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 24th, 2017, 8:38 pm

No mention of excessive smoke so I assume none was noted which tells me the turbo is spinning and providing proper boost. Is there a boost indicator on board? When the engine is shut off, does the turbine stop spinning right away or does it keep spinning for a while before coming to a stop?

Have the fuel filters been serviced? Are the bowls clear or do they look like a science experiment? If they're starving for fuel, you won't achieve rated rpm. If they're going through the expense of hauling out and going for the props, I assume/hope they checked the simple things first.

Is it me or does the flange at the turbo mounting look warped?

From the picture, it almost looks like the turbo casting is crumbling where the mounting bolts would thread into.

Looks like there are exhaust leaks at the turbo mount, and usually when I see rust trails like that shown at the water injector tube, it usually means pin holes as they don't seem to be running down from anywhere above, unless there is something dripping from above that location or from above the engine.

Without being there to sight it properly, it's difficult to tell but from the picture alone, the rudder seems to be kicked in quite a bit. While some are designed to be toed in a bit, that seems like a lot but I suspect it's just the angle the picture was taken.

Without actually being there, it's hard to say for sure whether any of the items that raise a flag to me are of any real concern judging strictly by the pictures. If you're not there and can probe deeper or sight things from a proper angle, it's difficult to tell if there are any real issues and an opinion is an educated guess at best. One hopes that someone that's physically there can say for sure if these are legitimate concerns.

Keep us posted.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”