Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

fuel tank in a 45' Voyager

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
carver45
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver Voyager 450

fuel tank in a 45' Voyager

Postby carver45 » June 4th, 2017, 7:07 am

Is there anyone out there who knows how the baffles are constructed in the 227 gal. tank? We are having an issue with the starboard tank, and the fuel polisher (as well as the other 2 a year ago) say they can only reach one area - this side of the baffles. My captain tried to keep things stirred up by using an air compressor, to no avail. We went 4.5 miles and then the starboard engine stopped. Mind you the port tank is fine - and we always add diesel fuel to both tanks when we fuel up. The starboard tank also feeds the generator which of course has from time to time has stopped as well, using the air compressor to unblock the hose works, along with changing filters. So we have something in the tank but we can't figure out how to access it because of the baffles.....

2000 Carver Voyager 450
Carver 45

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: fuel tank in a 45' Voyager

Postby Viper » June 4th, 2017, 8:35 am

Welcome aboard. This is a more generic answer than model specific but you'll likely have more than one baffle, the number will depend on the length of the tank. If you look closely at the side wall, you may be able to see the distortion where each baffle is welded. If you can't see anything, call Carver with your hull number, they can put you in touch with the tank manufacturer so you can get some specs, or look for a label on the side of the tank. If you're lucky, they're still around. I know some no longer are.

There should be a gap under the baffle, the height of which really depends on the manufacture's design, and may or may not be large enough to run a hose under to the other side. Multiple baffles do present a challenge even if there is enough room. A more extreme approach would be to cut an access hole on top of the tank between each baffle.

There may be chemical products out there that help break things up but most of their claims are just marketing hype. Try finding something with actual user feedback that has worked for them. Maybe someone here has a suggestion based on their experience.

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » July 10th, 2017, 9:15 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard. This is a more generic answer than model specific but you'll likely have more than one baffle, the number will depend on the length of the tank. If you look closely at the side wall, you may be able to see the distortion where each baffle is welded. If you can't see anything, call Carver with your hull number, they can put you in touch with the tank manufacturer so you can get some specs, or look for a label on the side of the tank. If you're lucky, they're still around. I know some no longer are.

There should be a gap under the baffle, the height of which really depends on the manufacture's design, and may or may not be large enough to run a hose under to the other side. Multiple baffles do present a challenge even if there is enough room. A more extreme approach would be to cut an access hole on top of the tank between each baffle.

There may be chemical products out there that help break things up but most of their claims are just marketing hype. Try finding something with actual user feedback that has worked for them. Maybe someone here has a suggestion based on their experience.

We ran into a similar problem, also with our starboard tank. Previous owner hadn't really run the boat in about four years and hadn't kept the fuel tanks topped up. Bought the new-to-us boat and headed off shore to reposition. Got into four foot waves and stirred up algae that we didn't know was in the tank. Limped in and a mechanic blew out the lines and changed the filters. We began using Biobor JF. http://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-fuel-additives/ It's available from a lot of places and much cheaper on Amazon than in most marine supply stores. That killed the algae but it was still in the tank. Took a few trips to drain the tanks and change the filters, topping up the fuel each time, but we now run in rougher water without issues. First dose of Biobor JF was at "shock" levels. After that, we add a "maintenance" amount each time we fuel. Great stuff! Might help you too.

United States of America
rcoff512
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 450
Home Port, Long Island NY USA

Postby rcoff512 » July 10th, 2017, 10:46 am

Carver 45,

Attached are photos of the labels on my 2 tanks. I own 1999 Carver 450 Hull #3.
I looked for baffle indications on my tanks and see none.

Starboard tank is the one with the power cord in the photo as well.
IMG_20170710_102009.jpg

IMG_20170710_101948.jpg

Perhaps if you call Florida Marine Tanks they can advise where the baffles are and how to access the complete interior.
Best of luck. If I can help in any other way let me know.

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 10th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I assume you are running diesel, if so I would suggest a case of fuel filters and some good additive to try and get the algae out of your tanks. Diesel fuel grows bacteria that over time will give you sludge and plug the fuel system. Ideally diesel tanks should be refilled after every use when hot to help minimize bacteria growth and condensation.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 2:20 am

Someone suggested to me opening any port, ie, fuel guage, filler, inspection port, etc and using an inexpensive borescope down the tank to examine the insides. Baffles just reduce sloshing, they dont block sections of the tank.

United States of America
jsinton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '79 28ft Voyager w/ 100KW BMW Marine Diesel.

Postby jsinton » August 13th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Actually, diesel fuel does not grow the bacteria. That's why tanks that stay topped off all the time don't grow the algae bacteria. The algae occurs when a less than full tank is left over time (like four years in this case) and bacteria grows on the sides or walls of the tank from constant condensation. Enter enthusiastic new boaty who fills up the said tank with fresh diesel w/o cleaning or inspecting, and the algae on the walls starts to come off into the fuel. That's why it's so hard to clean once it's gunked: It's on the walls of the tank and it's hard to clean off. Easier to just have new tanks made a lot of times.
You can get a commercial fuel polishing outfit to churn up the tank, but that still won't really clean it like it should.
If it was my boat, I'd install a line of cheap knock-off Racor-type water-fuel separator filters off eBay. Like three filters in a row. That will polish the fuel before it gets to the motor. You just keep your eye on the filters and drain water or sludge as necessary. Keep some extra paper filters on hand. Do an eBay search for "marine diesel fuel filter" and you'll see what I mean. Can't miss.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

FPPF makes a great additive for diesel too!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”