Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 356 RPM issues

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Carver 356 RPM issues

Postby cpoint » July 5th, 2017, 11:47 am

I am sure I have another posting tagged on to some one else here somewhere. But this is a fresh issue, so here it goes. Last 2 weeks I noticed the starboard engine RPM is a bit on high side now. Been dealing with port side issues, hate to start on starboard side. Basically when starts RPM is at about 1000 RPM, where as port side is about 800 RPM. Before they used to be same. I don't hear anything funny from the engines. I know port side still has fuel issues, I am dealing with that. But starboard side RPM goes up slight touch on the throttle. So when both engines are, let say, 2500 RPM, the throttle lever on port is considerable amount higher than starboard side. So this weekend I decided to floor it, and pushed it all the way on both, I did get 20+ knots, which good. Port side stopped going past about 3200 RPM but was stable and steady. Starboard side went out to 5000 RPM. The sync gauge was somewhat centered. I did not hear wild sounds from either engine. So what could this be? After I went down to about 2500 RPM, though throttle levers for both engines were equal and when I went neutral both engines were at about 800 maybe 900 RPM. So could it be gauge? or because I did not use it so much needs to clear out by maxing the engines every so often? Would fuel issue cause it? on port side fuel issues cause RPM gauge to go up and down. The starboard side has no weird movements, just looks like high RPM last 2 weeks or so. :-(

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Carver 356 RPM issues

Postby mjk1040 » July 5th, 2017, 5:38 pm

My first thought would be that if you have throttle body fuel injection system, clean your air sensor in the throttle body. Carb cleaner and a tooth brush. If this is dirty it will set your idle up because not enough air is getting to the sensor thus increasing your idle rpm. Sea Foam in your fuel tank may help clean internal system units.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 5th, 2017, 9:16 pm

cpoint wrote:Source of the post
Port side stopped going past about 3200 RPM but was stable and steady. Starboard side went out to 5000 RPM. The sync gauge was somewhat centered.

Something sounds really wrong there.

You should be able to noticably tell if the engines were at similar RPM or if one was around 3200 and the other 5000. If they both sounded the same (around 5000), then I'd say you have a port side tach issue.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 5th, 2017, 10:38 pm

something is strange here. If the starboard engine was "pulling the load" it would not get near 5000 rpm. It may just be a tach issue?
I believe I would pull out of the marina, and run on one engine at a time, feel how it pulls and listen for rpms while watching the gauges. You MAY find the port engine is doing all the work and the starboard engine is "freewheeling", either due to a sheared prop key or a slipping tranny. That would explain your low rpm port engine.
Just an idea.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 5th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Agree with ast couple of posts.
BTW, what is rated WOT for your engines? Can't recall what you have but 5K seems high. The best way to check actual rpm is to get a computer reading with a diagnostic tool, use a laser rpm reader, or a timing light with rpm feature. Then you can compare to what your gauges are reading.
cpoint wrote:Source of the post..... or because I did not use it so much needs to clear out by maxing the engines every so often?...

No

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 5th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Yes, 5k seems high, that why I think there may be some slip somewhere????

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 6th, 2017, 1:40 am

yes 5k is high, as I said this happened in the last week or two. I know port side has issues, so I know port side is not accurate due to fuel issues. Unfortunately I am not very good mechanically, simple things I can deal with. Anything bigger I need to take it up to a mechanic, so I am trying to get your feedback, so that I would have somewhat of an idea what kind a things may be an issue. I'll try to cleanup as suggested by mjk first, than if not solved, fork over some more money to my favorite mechanic :) I will try it out this weekend and get better sense of whats going on and post back here afterwords. Thanks to all for replying back.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 6th, 2017, 2:00 am

I will try with single engine to see how it goes (port, than starboard). I will also confirm, that when the 3k/5k was happening, it was not pulling on either side, it was going straight, but soon as slowed down either, than I had to compensate the rudder appropriately. That's why I am thinking they were both equal, and possible tach gauge may be going bad on starboard, maybe... Also, would seafoam cause any problems, would it be ok to added and if it helps great, if nothing, that's fine. But no bad side effects?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 6th, 2017, 6:48 am

Try this; on the back of your tachs is a small cylinder selector switch in a little hole. There are numbers stamped around the hole. Note the position the switch is pointing to and remember that. Using a small standard/flat screwdriver, turn the switch back and forth several times. You may have to push the switch in before it will turn so don't force anything. Return the switch back to the original position then go for a ride, don't throttle up that high at your dock.

As always, do only one thing at a time then test before you do anything else otherwise you won't know which corrective measure solved your problem.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 6th, 2017, 8:51 am

Agree with trying the above, I have had much the same and was corrected by working the selector switch around a bit.I guess the tell might be the sync gage was " somewhat centered", it gets signals from both the engines.....if it is good, then if one engine was at 5K rpm and the other at 3K rpm it would not be centered at all........good luck , hope it works for you.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”