Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Radar Arch Nuts Loose

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Radar Arch Nuts Loose

Postby feeez » October 11th, 2017, 9:17 am

The radar arch attachment nuts and lock washers on our 350 Mariner are located behind 4 access panels on the arch. I recently decided to replace the plastic screws that hold the panels in place with stainless as some of the heads had broken off.

After removing the panels I noticed that 2 of the 4 nuts were loose to the point that the lock washer was no longer compressed. One of them I could move by hand.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Re: Radar Arch Nuts Loose

Postby daveS » October 11th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Thanks Feeez
I will check mine

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 12th, 2017, 4:30 am

Just did the same thing on our 355! Everyone needed to be tightened. What size and type of SS machine bolts did u replace the plastic one with? I replaced the broken ones with new plastic ones, but now wish I went to SS ones.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » October 13th, 2017, 11:41 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Just did the same thing on our 355! Everyone needed to be tightened. What size and type of SS machine bolts did u replace the plastic one with? I replaced the broken ones with new plastic ones, but now wish I went to SS ones.

I believe the appropriate replacement was 10-24/ 3/4" SS machine screw.

Cheers
Fraser

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » October 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I was in behind that access panel recently to run wires from a solar panel I installed on the hard top. Saw those bolts but didn't think to check them. I will do so. On the issue of SS nuts and bolts for the access panel, mine has them, but I found that the stainless reacts with the aluminum of the panel and the arch and several of the threads on the aluminum corroded away. Perhaps the plastic is a better choice just for this reason.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 13th, 2017, 5:36 pm

nightsky wrote:Source of the post....On the issue of SS nuts and bolts for the access panel, mine has them, but I found that the stainless reacts with the aluminum of the panel and the arch and several of the threads on the aluminum corroded away. Perhaps the plastic is a better choice just for this reason.

BINGO! that's why they use plastic. You can use stainless steel but you must take measures to prevent galvanic corrosion. I use Tef-Gel on the threads when fastening dissimilar metals.
http://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_price

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 15th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Ah! Ha! That solves the $60K question why they used plastic in the first place.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 18th, 2017, 10:14 am

So Fraser, I finally got tired of looking at the missing screws on ours , thanks you are responsible here :-D .......well they were a mix of plastic with heads, headless and SS with the heads painted white, the SS were all fine but the plastic I replaced with stainless and will paint them white next year...the bolt was fine....interesting as there is no gasket here and you can see some evidence of small amounts on moisture getting in there, so I caulked the seam with some simple caulk and I think I will make gaskets next year to seal them and make removal easy......it is possible there could be another reason for the plastic perhaps....cost...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » October 18th, 2017, 12:31 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post interesting as there is no gasket here and you can see some evidence of small amounts on moisture getting in there, so I caulked the seam with some simple caulk and I think I will make gaskets next year to seal them and make removal easy......it is possible there could be another reason for the plastic perhaps....cost...... :beergood:

I had the same feeling about that when I put them back together. There was a real build up of green yuck between the plates and the arch so rain water it making its way in there for sure.

Fraser

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”