Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Depth Sounder Has Died

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

Depth Sounder Has Died

Postby mbenner » October 27th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Two part question:

1) How can I find a replacement depth sounder that will interface with the existing transducer from my deceased President LTD200?

2) If I replace the transducer, what is the path and where are the access points for fishing the transducer cable on a 1993 Carver 30-0 Aft-Cabin Motor Cruiser?
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Depth Sounder Has Died

Postby Viper » October 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

The data sentences used for the pre NMEA 2000 units were pretty standard among manufacturers. While it's likely that a sounder head of the same vintage would work, the challenge is finding one with the same pin configuration/plug. The trick here is ensuring that the problem is the head and not the ducer. Follow the current ducer cable or the shift and throttle cables from the engine compartment, they should give you an idea of where the race is that leads to the helm. Try eBay, you may find someone with the same unit for sale.

mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mbenner » November 3rd, 2018, 12:44 pm

Thanks! I was able to find out from the manufacturer that the new unit would work with the old transducer which made the job much easier. I was also able to trace the raceway from the bridge through the salon which proved to be a pretty circuitous routing. It would not have been a fun job to snake the new cable as there were several 90 degree turns that would have made fishing more difficult.

In the end the installation was as simple and straightforward as I could have hoped for. I do appreciate your response and advice. I'm sure it will come in handy for the next challenge...or the one after that...
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2018, 10:10 pm

What new unit did you get that paired up ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mbenner » November 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm

I purchased a Hawkeye Depthtrax by Norcross Marine. It's a simple digital sounder with an alarm. That's all I needed. Bought it on Amazon.
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

Canada
bptaylor
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 3607

Postby bptaylor » January 25th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Hi Michael,

What type of depth sounder did you have previously? Was it a impulse QT-202 system? I need to replace my instrument gauge and possibly the thru-hall transducer component.

Thanks

Brian Taylor
Brian.taylor049@gmail.com

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”