Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

JVC audio head is also in the throes of death

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

JVC audio head is also in the throes of death

Postby mbenner » November 16th, 2018, 8:28 pm

From the "Boats For Sale" listings I've seen on line, it appears most Carver 28' aft-cabins, Carver 300 aft-cabins, 325's, 326's and probably many others of similar vintage (90's - early 2000's) were equipped with similar audio systems. Mine has a JVC Model KS-RX750 cassette receiver paired with a 25W KS EA400 Equalizer/Amplifier. The radio makes some intelligible noise occasionally, but my cassette collection predates too much of my current taste and I quite honestly haven't had the nerve to put my Cheap Trick tape in this machine.

Does anyone know if there is a more modern audio head that might either be a "plug & play" replacement or a simple installation without replacing the Equalizer/Amplifier?

Any advice will be welcome. I would like to have a functioning sound system, but do not need more than basics. Anything with a single disk CD player and MP3 jack would do.

Thanks!
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: JVC audio head is also in the throes of death

Postby tomschauer » November 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm

You can install most any car audio head unit in its place. Sony, JVC, Kenwood and Pioneer all make really good affordable units. Most have Bluetooth standard for under $200. These newer units most likely have a better amp than your 25 watt equalizer, so I would remove it or just disconnect it and leave it in place.

Topic author United States of America
mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

Postby mbenner » November 16th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Thanks Tom,

I've been looking at potential JVC replacement candidates. I just hope I can connect all the little wires correctly!
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 18th, 2018, 11:59 pm

You may have labels on the output wires of your existing jvc, showing front left + / - etc. they should be connected to a carver connector. If so, cut the wires on the stereo side of the labels and use crimp connectors to hook up the new unit. If you have near zero ability with this sort of thing, I am sure you can find a local car stereo guy or gal to help you out. Pretty easy if you have a little bit of experience.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”