Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Clarion CMD4 Helm speaker output low

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Clarion CMD4 Helm speaker output low

Postby Cliffm » November 18th, 2018, 10:39 pm

The wife & I just bought a 2006 Carver 36 MY. It has the factory installed Clarion CMD4 head unit in the salon with speakers on the salon area and aft berth, plus 2 speakers at the Helm.

My question is how to play the radio or CD for the helm area, adjusting the Helm volume via the wired "remote" helm controller without blasting out the salon area ? is there a "zone" control similar to what Fusion does?

we're not ready to change out electronics just yet, try to understand and work with what we just acquired.

Insight would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Cliffm on December 22nd, 2018, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Clarion CMD5 Helm volume control issue

Postby tomschauer » November 18th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I BELIEVE they are set up as front (bridge) and rear (salon). Try using the fader control at the main unit and see if you can "shut off" either the bridge or salon speakers by fading fully front or rear. I am not sure if the clarion lets you adjust the fading from the remote or only at the main unit.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » November 20th, 2018, 10:25 am

I had the same issue with speakers on the bridge. Remote did not work from up there. I put an L-pad volume control on the bridge so I would adjust the volume locally. Now I just reach over and turn the knob... Parts Express has them:

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-l ... m--260-260
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 23rd, 2018, 12:29 am

SplashyLady wrote:Source of the post I had the same issue with speakers on the bridge. Remote did not work from up there. I put an L-pad volume control on the bridge so I would adjust the volume locally. Now I just reach over and turn the knob... Parts Express has them:

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-l ... m--260-260

Great tip. Thanks

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 29th, 2018, 8:12 am

I have similar issues on my 2005 Mariner. On my unit, the 'fade' controls volume balance fore and aft. (Fore mainly being on the bridge).
I am not happy with the results. I have also taken a look at the amp, trying to tweak, but it requires someone with more knowledge.
I am planning to upgrade the TV this spring and will likely bring in professional help to get them both right. In the meantime, I use a Bose Bluetooth speaker on the bridge and am very pleased with the sound.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 29th, 2018, 9:09 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I BELIEVE they are set up as front (bridge) and rear (salon). Try using the fader control at the main unit and see if you can "shut off" either the bridge or salon speakers by fading fully front or rear. I am not sure if the clarion lets you adjust the fading from the remote or only at the main unit.

This is how mine was set up from the factory or at least this is how I remember it which may not be entirely accurate. :-P To create a controllable 3rd zone in the aft cabin Carver added an analogue volume adjuster on the wall in the aft cabin. Worked but sort of archaic.

Switched out to a Fusion system that streams and does everything normal stereos do today. Unfortunately the CD died along with the cassette and 8 track and now one needs to stream music which was not a feature on the older Clarion stuff. luckily I bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius way back to the tune of around $250 which I have been using form one boat to the next. Was easily able to add a Sirius tuner to the fusion which made Sirius integration seamless.

Speaking of Fusion, I opted for the hidden version which basically put the electronics and connectors hidden away seperate from the small control head. Fusion called this "Black Box". https://www.fusionentertainment.com/mar ... /ms-bb300r Made for a really neat and obtrusive installation locating the main box and wiring easily accessible right behind the pull out TV.

Added another control head to be able to select and control everything from the bridge. As you can see I am not stupid and installed it on the Admirals side. :-D

One tip, forget about the wireless stuff, found out long ago it is more troublesome than anything else. All my installs are wired and dependable.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » December 1st, 2018, 8:26 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I BELIEVE they are set up as front (bridge) and rear (salon). Try using the fader control at the main unit and see if you can "shut off" either the bridge or salon speakers by fading fully front or rear. I am not sure if the clarion lets you adjust the fading from the remote or only at the main unit.

This is how mine was set up from the factory or at least this is how I remember it which may not be entirely accurate. :-P To create a controllable 3rd zone in the aft cabin Carver added an analogue volume adjuster on the wall in the aft cabin. Worked but sort of archaic.

Switched out to a Fusion system that streams and does everything normal stereos do today. Unfortunately the CD died along with the cassette and 8 track and now one needs to stream music which was not a feature on the older Clarion stuff. luckily I bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius way back to the tune of around $250 which I have been using form one boat to the next. Was easily able to add a Sirius tuner to the fusion which made Sirius integration seamless.

Speaking of Fusion, I opted for the hidden version which basically put the electronics and connectors hidden away seperate from the small control head. Fusion called this "Black Box". https://www.fusionentertainment.com/mar ... /ms-bb300r Made for a really neat and obtrusive installation locating the main box and wiring easily accessible right behind the pull out TV.

Added another control head to be able to select and control everything from the bridge. As you can see I am not stupid and installed it on the Admirals side. :-D

One tip, forget about the wireless stuff, found out long ago it is more troublesome than anything else. All my installs are wired and dependable.

I do like the fusion stuff, they're intuitive in the functions. Have an older one in the wifes 2003 Bayliner 245. It has in internal dock for an ipod. It has zone controls, which makes more sense than a fader.
Down the road we may upgrade.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Re: Clarion CMD4 Helm speaker output low

Postby Cliffm » November 10th, 2020, 9:34 am

Resurrecting old thread for those searching. Turns out our helm speakers were "trashed". After replacing the OEM Clarion w/Fusion 6" the volume on the helm balances well with salon volume.

If your volume is pitiful on the helm, pop the speaker covers and inspect. Our future upgrade, after others, will be a Fusion 3 zone audio system.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Clarion CMD4 Helm speaker output low

Postby g36 » November 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Fusion makes some good stuff
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.